Chapter 17

Finally, the day is here.

Sitara looked at her reflection in the mirror. The girl looking back at her was looking beautiful. Too beautiful she wanted to say, she never imagined herself to be this beautiful especially when she did the make-up herself. Who could have done it when no one is allowed to look at her but she did a good job. She smiled at herself and saw her empty eyes. She smiled a little more but still her eyes, they seem so empty and lifeless. She don't know if she ever could be able to laugh again. If her smile could ever reach her eyes again

She got up and looked at herself. The blouse was so heavy. The gold embroidery with full sleeves were making her shoulders ache. She turned a bit to see if the knot at the back is tied tightly or not and it was. The lehenga didn't have full embroidery but the border was too heavy. The mirror work was increasing its weight. Nargis was right regarding the real gold wire used in the embroidery. She didn't understand why he spends so much. What's the point of splurging so much. The jewelry was too quite heavy, the necklace covered her whole neck. Then she set her hair in a bun and tucked the gajra made of roses and jasmine around it.

The pendulum of the sailor clock in her room, struck signaling that's its time. Just then she heard the knock. "Tara" she heard Nargis. "C-coming Nargis" she said and picked up the net dupatta and wore it. She kept it a little lower than her chin so that it's border do not hinder her sight while walking.

She turned to open the door. "Ow" she stumbled and fell due to the weight of her outfit. She checked her ankle, thank God it's not sprained.

"Tara, what happened are you okay?" she asked banging the door. "Bhabhijaan, are you alright?" She heard Faizan's voice.

"Ye-Yes" but before she could stutter out Faizan broke down the door. Thank God the veil was in place she thought.

"Bhabhijaan" Nargis, Rihan, Faizan every one came barging in. "Tara! Bacchi!" "Bhai, Nargis relax. I am fine. I just fell because of the weight of the dress. I am not hurt. I am okay, alright" she said and they laughed. "Tara, you scared all of us" Nargis said. "What is there to laugh, this is too heavy and pointless" she muttered and their laughter died down. She tried to get up but fell again. Nargis stepped ahead and she stopped her. "Are you crazy? Stay there. I will get up myself" she said glaring at her. How stupid can she be? She thought and took the support of her bed to stood up.

"Wow Appi" she heard a cheerful Ruku running towards her and all her irritation turned into smile. She extended her arms and she hugged her wrapping her waist with her little hands. "You are looking so pretty Appi" she said and Sitara cupped her cheeks "So are you my little princess" she said looking her all dressed up. She was looking like a little fairy in her red lehanga.

"Tara bacchi, sahi keh rahi hai Ruku, pata hi nahi chala tu kab itni badi ho gayi" (Ruku is right, when did you grow up so much) Rihan said and she knows he wanted to to pat her head but he can't and this helplessness aches her the most.

"Sach Sitara, aisa lag ra hai jaise chand zameen mei utar aaya ho" (Really Sitara, looks like the moon has walked down the earth) said Nargis.

"Come you people what you are doing? Kazi Sahib is already here." Zahra came calling them. "Meri betiya to hai hi sabse khoobsoorat" (my daughter is most beautiful) she said while coming in.

"Faizan Bhai, try the phone once again" Sitara heard her brother telling Faizan just as they left the room. Whom is her brother trying to call she thought since no one was coming, sliding that thought away she entered the living room.

Today also the living room was decorated but instead of the colorful decor it's more white today. It wasn't a night function, it was a day ceremony hence the light colors were matching the vibes. The cushions were golden and mattress had silken white sheets, the glass curtains made the backdrop look more extravagant. The wall had the sheaths of green leaves and white flowers. There was a separator made of white flowers which separated the sitting area of men and women. The small table with the pen and attached quill of peacock feather was kept to sign the nikahnama on either side.