Chapter 14

"Sitara! How long will you take to get ready? Come now," she heard Nargis knocking at her door while she was sleeping. "Sitara!" Uggh,"What Nargis! Why everyone has to talk to me when I finally sleep," she said, irritated from inside. After that incident in the fair, she hardly could sleep at night. Though the way he hugged her helped her with the fear. But that didn't tone down the craziness he has brought in her life. Finally, when she slept without the nightmare, the knock disturbed her.

"Sleep?? Are you kidding me? People are already here for your Henna, and you are still sleeping. Get up!" She said, and  Sitara groaned, getting up. "I will come in ten minutes" she said and turn around, hugging her pillow.

"Sitara, get up now. Faizan Bhai has brought your Henna too, " she said, and that made her sit upright. "Who brought what?" She said, opening the door in a haste. "Why are you surprised. Henna for Nikah always comes from the groom side." She retorted. "What Henna? Why? Not that I am going to apply that" she said. "What? Why? What do you mean you will not be applying it?" She asked bewildered. "How will I apply it? Who will apply it without touching me?" She said, coming inside and sitting on the bed cross-legged.

"How is this going to work out?" Nargis said, coming inside. "Wow, Nargis, you are looking so beautiful." Sitara just looked at her she was all dressed up. Her peach sharara complemented her skin tone. She had even wore a gajra along her braid. She giggled, and Sitara smiled, looking at her. "But what are you saying? What's the point of Henna ceremony when the bride is not applying it." She said, and she shrugged. Nargis kept a packet on her bedside table. She made a face and looked down dejected. "At least get ready and come out," she protested, and Sitara rolled her eyes. "Fine, go, I will come," she said, getting up. "Good," she said happily and was leaving when Sitara asked. "What is this?" She asked, looking at the packet. "Your jewelry for tonight." "Jewelry? Why? Was that not with the dress he brought? And why in a packet?" She asked, confused and unpacked it. It was the floral jewelry.

"Faizan Bhai brought made of fresh flowers," she told, and Sitara nodded and threw it on the bed. "What? Didn't you like it?" She said picking it up. "Its nice" Sitara said and opened her closet to take out the dress. "Nice! Just nice! It is so pretty Tara. I so wanted to wear all this stuff but I couldn't get a chance and you have the best still you are like least interested. Why are you so grumpy?" she said making a face.

"Grumpy? Maybe because Nargis I still remember whom I am getting married to which everyone here has very conveniently forgotten." She said with a scoff and her face fell. "Sitara I-I didn't mean that ways" she tried to cover up and Sitara sat with a thud on her bed. "Its pretty Nargis." She said holding the flower bracelets. "Maybe the prettiest in whole city, but it's still not the one chosen by me" she said. She knew Nargis is sad that she didn't get the wedding of her dreams, she is forgetting she got to chose her man whom she wanted to marry. She is naïve that she doesn't understands that trumps the most extravagant jewels of the world.

"Go, acha I am coming. Don't be so low" she said seeing her low and sad face. Nargis smiled and left saying a come soon to her.

She took out the plastic cover bag what he brought that day and looked at the dress for the first time. Who selects these dresses? She wondered looking at the pretty lehanga. It was blush pink with floral embroidery. She wore the dress and did a natural makeup. Wearing a mauve shade of lip color, she started wearing the jewelry made of little white and pink flowers.

She wore the pastel green dupatta which came along the dress over her head covering till her chin.

She reached in the living room and the set up was all changed. The couches were removed and the coffee table too, instead there were mattress with colorful sheets and cushions. The backdrop was colorful drapes and little umbrellas all over. In the center she saw a swing made of marigold flowers. It was so colorful and pretty.