Chapter 10: You Can't

"How was it?"

At the corner of the stairs, Crownslayer looked up and down at Xiu Xian. "You're quite desperate."

"At least with desperation, there's still a chance to live. I'm afraid that without desperation, I'll end up with nothing," Xiu Xian replied.

"You're overthinking it." Crownslayer turned around and beckoned to Xiu Xian, indicating for him to follow.

She led the way while speaking, "We won't force you to do anything. That's the principle of the Reunion Movement. If we were to force you to do things even when there's no combat, then what would be the point of the Reunion Movement?"

Xiu Xian shook his head from behind. He was well aware of the nature of organizations like these. It started as an idealistic group, but in its later stages, the central ideology always fades into obscurity. However, he wouldn't voice these thoughts. He was now in the world of Arknights, not some medieval fantasy world with unenlightened minds.

"Oh, by the way," Crownslayer, walking ahead, suddenly spoke up. "I saw those buckets of blood being carried out earlier, and I didn't expect you to still be able to walk."

Xiu Xian, following behind, replied, "You've probably seen way more blood than this, no? It's not like I had postpartum hemorrhage, it was just superficial wounds."

"So, you can directly remove the Originium crystals from your own body?" Crownslayer asked.

"It's dangerous," Xiu Xian answered cautiously.

Since Frostnova had already informed him earlier, Xiu Xian knew how to respond. "Also, those crystals are not from my body, they're from Frostnova. It's easier for me to handle them."

"I see," Crownslayer mused ahead. "What about your own body's surface crystals?"

Xiu Xian replied from behind, "Didn't you see them just now?"

"I went out while Frostnova was skinning you for treatment," Crownslayer explained.

"......"

"Can you not make it sound so horrifying?" Xiu Xian immediately retorted. "I can remove my own crystals too, at least I won't let others see that I'm an Infected."

The presence of surface crystals on an Infected individual indicated a severe stage of Oripathy. However, even in cases of mild external infection, there would be some crystals appearing at the infection source.

However, for those who contracted the disease through exposure to Originium dust, the possibility of having crystals on their bodies would be somewhat reduced.

"I see," Crownslayer didn't doubt Xiu Xian's words.

In this world, Originium energy can be seen as a form of magic.

In the blood of every individual in this world, there exists a certain amount of originium. This serves as a medium for releasing Originium arts or what could be called "magic," similar to elemental powers in fantasy settings.

When an originium infection, also known as "Oripathy," occurs, the concentration of this viral agent within the body increases, causing crystallization of certain organs.

This crystallization is lethal, similar to the organ damage caused by cancer cells.

Direct contact with Originium through it piercing the skin almost always leads to infection, while inhalation of Originium dust depends on one's luck.

Crownslayer didn't doubt Xiu Xian's status as an Infected individual. After all, with Xiu Xian's abilities and his state of being covered in crystals, no one would believe he wasn't infected.