Chapter 23: Suspicion

Xiu Xian didn't know if he and Crownslayer were ambushed because someone betrayed them.

But it's unlikely. If they were betrayed, there would have been a lot more people ambushing them.

Moreover, at that time, they were discussing things on the spot, and as such the probability of intelligence delivery or leakage was very low.

The most probable reason is that the people from the black market received some kind of information and evacuated quickly. For example, some spies in the Reunion Movement from the black market learned about the major operation tonight and organized the evacuation.

It's also possible that after Xiu Xian's incident, everyone was arrested by the Chernobog officials.

But Xiu Xian doesn't care.

What does the true reason have to do with him, a spy from Lungmen?

Pretending to be a victim is a great way to avoid suspicion.

The Reunion Movement left overnight, and Xiu Xian don't know how Crownslayer reported this matter.

But he did hear several pleas for mercy.

He wondered which country's spy had suffered this time.

At the moment, Xiu Xian was receiving treatment for his injuries.

It's late at night, the evacuation team of the Reunion Movement rested in a mountain gorge. As Crownslayer had said, the people from Chernobog did not pursue them.

But Xiu Xian was not idle.

The support team he was in was preparing the supplies for tomorrow's departure: loading trucks, conducting maintenance, refueling, and so on.

When Crownslayer returned, she gave Xiu Xian a meaningful look, telling him to keep his head down and work instead of asking questions.

However, Xiu Xian didn't have to work for too long because a Yeti arrived.

Frostnova wanted to talk.

Following this Yeti, Xiu Xian arrived at a secluded cave, far away from the others. Frostnova was sitting inside.

After seeing Xiu Xian, Frostnova waved her hand, gesturing for everyone else to leave.

"Did you use arts for the evacuation earlier?" Xiu Xian walked toward Frostnova with a concerned expression. "If you use it immediately after getting treated without rest, your body won't be able to handle it."

"Don't worry." Looking at Xiu Xian, the icy expression on Frostnova's face melted a little. "Your treatment is good. Talulah did most of the fighting just now, so don't worry about me. I called you here for something else."

"Hmm? What is it?"

"Us squad leaders just had a meeting," Frostnova answered. "You and Crownslayer went to Chernobog to get something, and then you were ambushed?"

Xiu Xian pondered for a moment, then nodded. "Yes, there are Originium crystals stored in my clinic. Crownslayer told me that you were going to start a fight, and I was afraid those crystals would cause trouble for everyone and harm innocent compatriots, so I wanted to bring them out. But after I went there, we were ambushed by a special ops team, and it seemed like the people on the street where we were had already evacuated. So..."

"You suspect there are spies?"

"Yes."

"Do you have any specific leads?"

Xiu Xian shook his head. "No, I only mentioned it to Crownslayer. I don't know if our team members outside heard it. I also don't know who else was inside the room at that time, and I don't know who saw us when we went to get the car."

"Do you think you'll be targeted when you go to Chernobog?"

"I am a doctor," Xiu Xian said helplessly. "I was just a peripheral member, but after coming to the base this time, I met three commanders, including you, and the leader. If there really is a traitor, I think I would be closely watched. It also makes sense that I would be targeted when I was with Crownslayer. Of course, it could also be a coincidence."

"The organization is already investigating this matter internally," Frostnova said, taking out a backpack. "Also, this is for you."

"Hmm?" Xiu Xian took it and opened it. He exclaimed, "Isn't this the Originium I turned in?"

Frostnova nodded. "Yes, sometimes my powers require Originium support, so the leader entrusted these finished products to me. But now that we're in the evacuation phase, I don't need these things. Crownslayer said you have the means to activate Originium explosions, which helped you a lot. So, after giving it some thought, I decided to give them to you."

Xiu Xian looked at the Originium handed to him, pondered for a moment, and shook his head. "You should hold onto them. We won't have any use for them during the mission. Why would I carry a bunch of Originium crystals with me?"

"Don't want them?"

After contemplating for a moment, Xiu Xian smiled and said, "If I need them, I'll come to you to get them. For now, you can hold onto them for me. I trust you."

"Alright." Frostnova didn't insist. "By the way, I heard that there was a bearded man among the ones you fought. He used fire arts. How did you deal with him?"

"Oh, you mean Kozlov," Xiu Xian waved his hand. "He's just an idiot, bombarding me with arts while telling me to remember his name and all that nonsense. I used ice to block his attacks and then rewarded him with an Originium crystal."

Frostnova's expression remained unchanged. "And then?"

"Then the Originium crystal exploded, and his staff exploded along with it. After that, he drew his knife to engage me in close combat. I raised my hgun and shot him, and that was the end of it," Xiu Xian said with a disdainful look. "Isn't he stupid? I was even wearing the Ursus special ops uniform at the time, and he didn't think I had a long-range weapon?"

Frostnova: "...."

Seeing Frostnova's expression, Xiu Xian asked tentatively, "Do you... know him?"

"Well... we've crossed paths before. But he managed to escape a few times," Frostnova looked at Xiu Xian and smiled. "But it's good that you took care of him. The organization will commend you for it. The Reunion Movement won't mistreat any compatriot who contributes to the cause. You've had a tiring day, so go rest."

"Okay." Xiu Xian retreated to the entrance of the cave and then turned back. "Um, if your condition..."

"I will come find you," Frostnova smiled. "Definitely."

Only after Xiu Xian left, Frostnova's smile slowly faded, and she spoke in a slightly displeased tone, "I said he's fine. Just because he killed Kozlov, you suspect him? If that's the case, who would dare to defend the movement in the future?"

"Why do you seem a bit too agitated, Frostnova?" Mephisto emerged from the shadows, looking in the direction Xiu Xian left. "A doctor who single-handedly took down a notorious caster from an elite squadron. It's hard to believe."

"You've seen the body, the staff exploded, torn apart by raw originium energy," Frostnova frowned. "Do you still doubt him? A peripheral member? Mephisto, did the upheaval in Lungmen turn you into this?"

"I'm just skeptical," Mephisto walked out toward the entrance of the cave. "He seems a bit too talented."

"Ability is not a reason to suspect someone. I hope you can provide enough evidence," Frostnova said coldly, her voice icy.

"Intuition."

"Hmph." Frostnova snorted coldly. "Intuition? Is it really intuition, or is it a child fighting for attention? For example, thinking that his abilities might be more useful to Talulah?"

"Think what you want," Mephisto walked to the cave entrance. "I will keep an eye on him."

"If you dare to take action against him without evidence, you will pay the price," Frostnova's voice was icy cold.

The Double Agent of Lungmenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें