Chapter 37: You Scared?

After the group had finished shopping, Galileo was the first to return to the hotel, carrying a lot of things.

But instead of idling around after returning, he opened his computer and contacted Xiu Xian.

Their current task was to find the traitor.

Last night's incident was a trap targeting their team. Without getting rid of the orchestrator, the plan cannot go on smoothly.

"What's with that old man?" Xiu Xian asked Crownslayer in the car as they're driving towards the rendezvous point. "If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't seem to be an Infected?"

"He Lao is not an Infected," Crownslayer replied. "His child is. His identity is an internal matter of the movement and not convenient to disclose unless necessary."

"Do you think it's unnecessary for us now?"

"He Lao is not under my command, so I don't have jurisdiction over him," Crownslayer said helplessly. "So, let's not move him for now. Let's talk about your plan."

Xiu Xian looked at Chu Ning.

The latter took out a piece of paper. "Boss, if you believe in him, I hope you can cooperate with us in staging a trap."

"This is..."

"A clue," Xiu Xian spoke. "Found it at that guy's place last night."

Crownslayer fell silent for a moment. "Have you chosen the locations?"

"Yes," Chu Ning replied. "They're all in the slums, enough for us to make a commotion."

The car stopped midway, and one by one, the people got off, leaving only Crownslayer to proceed to the meeting point alone.

Arriving at the street corner, Crownslayer gave the secret signal, and the rolling shutter door opened. He Lao, the old man, stuck his head out from inside. "Ms.Crownslayer?"

This time, he didn't ask for the secret signal. Instead, he quickly let Crownslayer in through the rolling shutter door.

"You came personally today?" He Lao couldn't hide his surprise.

"Some matters require personal handling," Crownslayer said with an icy expression. "What happened with the LGD last night?"

"I...," When mentioning what happened last night, He Lao naturally felt guilty.

He was in charge of supporting the operation, but all of a sudden the pair that he was supposed to help were surrounded by the LGD! It almost gave him a heart attack when he first heard the news.

Facing Crownslayer's questioning, his voice became feeble. "I... I don't know how the news got leaked. I suspect it was a trap set by the guard department."

Crownslayer sat down across from him, tapping the table with her fingers. "Could it be someone leaked information about my people?"

"No! Absolutely impossible..." He Lao's voice weakened as he continued. "I... I..."

As he spoke, he stuttered and couldn't find the words. Finally, he gritted his teeth. "I'm also investigating, ma'am."

"Then let me ask you," Crownslayer looked at He Lao. "Those two who came, did anything seem unusual about them?"

"Those two?" He Lao pondered for a moment, then was startled. "Are you suspecting them?"

"I have to eliminate all possibilities now," Crownslayer asked. "Anything suspicious?"

"They came, gave the password, took the information, told us to arrange for support, and then left," He Lao contemplated. "Hmm... That's about it. Nothing else. Besides, they wouldn't betray themselves. They were just investigating."

"In fact, they are suspicious of each other now," Crownslayer said. "We've found the informant's location."

"Really?" He Lao immediately became excited. "That's great!"

"Don't rejoice too soon," Crownslayer said sternly. "We haven't figured out the situation within our ranks yet. We can't easily approach him, so we need to find this person first. He Lao, how many people do you have under your command?"

"Twenty-seven, divided into three small groups of nine each," He Lao replied.

"Bring the leaders of the three groups here," Crownslayer instructed. "I have three addresses here. Tell each of them one of these addresses and inform them that we have found the target. Then have them take their people to the respective locations to help."

He Lao's eyes lit up. "If there's a spy, there will be people who don't belong to us at those locations!"

Crownslayer nodded. "Exactly."

"Understood!" He Lao exclaimed excitedly. "I'll arrange it right away!"

"Hold on," Crownslayer stopped him. "Prepare a vehicle for me, the kind that won't be inspected when leaving Lungmen."

"No problem," He Lao nodded in agreement, but curiosity got the better of him: "Are you leaving the city?"

"We don't have much time," Crownslayer said somewhat helplessly. "No matter who we discover, you'll be in charge of the follow-up. I...I'm in a hurry."

He Lao hesitated for a moment and then nodded. "I understand."

As dusk fell, Crownslayer drove the vehicle that He Lao had arranged and headed out of Lungmen.

During the journey, she picked up her phone and called: "How are preparations on your end?"

"Don't worry," replied Xiu Xian with a yawn. "We're just waiting for the fish to take the bait. I'm feeling pretty good about my location. It may be a run-down building, but at least it has rooms to shelter me from the wind and rain."

"I don't have it as good as you," chimed in Chu Ning's voice on the line. "I don't know if Xiu Fei Fan did it on purpose, but my location is an abandoned factory. It reeks of rust, and it's freezing. Plus, it's so spacious that there are drafts everywhere!"

"Heh," Eliask asked, sounding displeased. "Can't you provide something more reliable?"

"Come on," responded Galileo, sounding frustrated. "Having something that works is already a blessing. Otherwise, in a city filled with tall buildings, even a wireless signal can't travel five hundred meters. The good frequency bands are controlled by the LGD. What, are you planning to compete with them?"

"Technicians always find excuses," Eliask grumbled, a bit embarrassed. He quickly changed the subject, saying, "I was just wondering, can I change my location?"

"Is your current spot not good?" asked Galileo.

"It's not that... I just heard," Eliask hesitated, then clenched his teeth. "The school I'm stationed at... it might have some...unclean things?"

"Huh?" Everyone was puzzled.

"A perfectly fine school," Eliask asked, his voice awkward. "How could it suddenly become abandoned, right? There must be some reason for it, I'm sure..."

"I get it!" Xiu Xian suddenly realized. "You're scared of ghosts!"

A brief silence followed, and then Eliask's voice came through softly, "Xiu Fei Fan, I hate you even more now!"

A/N: Hi everyone! Sorry for the radio silence for the past months. I've been really swamped with work and travelling during the summer, so I couldn't find a chance to come back and inform you guys. 

Thank you all for your patience! Updates will probably be less frequent than before, but i promise that I'll keep them coming!