Chapter 36: Talking Behind My Back?

Inside the LGD.

"Retrieve the file of this tour group for me." Swire sat in her office.

After a while, a set of documents was sent over.

Swire looked at the file and muttered, "A local guide from Lungmen and four shoppers from different places."

Without lifting her head, she asked, "Check the identities of these people for me."

"How are we supposed to check?" Hoshiguma walked in with a cup of milk tea and said while drinking, "We can only check the one from Lungmen at most. The other four require contacting foreign nations, and they are just ordinary tourists. Why would anyone outside help us investigate? Oh, by the way, how much does the boba cost?"

"It's on me." Swire waved her hand and stared at the documents. "But these people are strange. They stayed in a five-star hotel, visited upscale shopping areas, but one of them wore a pair of worn-out shoes? They checked into Taeglin yesterday, and Taeglin just had an incident last night."

Hoshiguma walked up to Swire and looked at the information on the computer. "Don't forget, we set the bait last night, and it's not just one group that came. You mentioned the worn-out shoes? Which one?"

Swire pointed to a photo of Galileo. "Him."

Hoshiguma stared at the photo for a moment. "Big head, thick neck, lifeless eyes, and nervous. He looks like a shut-in."

"Huh?"

"Well... there was a case before." Hoshiguma said, "A guy who wore clothes from two street stalls died in his house. The room was full of various small toys. We initially thought he came from a poor district, but when we checked those toys, damn, the value of everything in that room could buy a house in an upper-class area."

"Oh?" Swire was confused. "Are houses in that area considered expensive?"

Hoshiguma sighed. "I shouldn't have told you that. What I mean is, people like him spend money differently from us."

"I can't understand at all."

"Ch'en spends most of her salary on training." Hoshiguma said, "What about you?"

"Salary?" Swire raised her head. "Now that you mention it... I can't really remember. So much money comes into my account every hour, and so much money goes out. I never paid attention to what my salary is. By the way, when do we get paid? Should I check?"

Hoshiguma took a deep breath and finished her milk tea. "Damn rich people!"

"I was born into it. What can I say?" Swire picked up her own milk tea. "So, are you saying this person is not suspicious?"

"Let me check something else." Hoshiguma looked through the other information, and when she reached the file of Xiu Xian, her hand paused for a moment.

"Xiu Fei Fan...?"

"Do you know him?" Swire's eyes lit up, looking at Hoshiguma. "Is there any incriminating evidence?"

Hoshiguma put down the mouse. "Why are you so excited? Do you have a grudge against him?"

"He's slick-tongued." Swire huffed. "He even saw me arguing with Shaw that one time."

"So, you want to settle a personal score?"

"What are you talking about! I just feel something is off about him."

"Any evidence?"

"A feeling." Swire clasped her hands together. "My feelings as a Feline are usually accurate!"

Hoshiguma scoffed. "Like that person from Penguin Logistics we arrested yesterday? She happened to pass by, and you had her arrested. Have you ever seen a Sankta taking action in the middle of the night with their big halos, as if they want to get noticed? Her lawyer came today, took her away, and complained that we abused our power."

"What!" Swire slammed the table and stood up. "What a joke! Who is her lawyer?"

"What's the matter?" Hoshiguma rolled her eyes. "You want to invite the lawyer to be interrogated too? Mr. Wei is already having a headache."

"Nonsense! Whatever amount they paid him, I'll give him three times the money! Ten times! Let him piss off."

Hoshiguma pursed her lips. "Although you were a bit indiscriminate when arresting people, you are quite considerate when it comes to taking care of the LGD."

"That's true."

"But he's from Penguin Logistics' legal department." Hoshiguma countered. "Can you really bribe that big penguin, Miss Superintendent?"

Swire instantly deflated.

Penguin Logistics, just hearing the name, you know they're loaded.

"The chief asked me to tell you." Hoshiguma sat down on a nearby chair. "Be careful in the future. They are, after all, our important partners."

"Okay, okay, I know." Swire smoothed her golden wavy hair. "What about these people? This Xiu Fei Fan guy."

"I've heard the name before, but I'm not sure." Hoshiguma said, "Wasn't there an explosion incident in the slums before? I remember seeing that name on some documents, but it probably has nothing to do with this. There are so many people called Fei Fan in Lungmen. Even the LGD has seven or eight. I'm not sure if I remembered correctly."

Swire narrowed her eyes. "Looks like we need to investigate. Can I access the file of that explosion? Can I check it?"

"You can't."

Swire was stunned. "I'm a Senior Superintendent!"

"That case was handled by Ol'Chen." Hoshiguma said, "It's no problem if you want to see the documents, but you'll probably have to beg her."

"That damn lazy dragon again!" Swire was about to throw the cup in anger, but the door was pushed open, and Chen walked in expressionlessly.

Swire's hand froze in mid-air, while Chen tossed a file onto the table and looked at Swire. "Talking bad about me behind my back again?"

Swire felt a little guilty. She put down the cup and awkwardly said, "M-me? No way, why would I?"

"Your efficiency is as low as ever." Chen snorted. "These people are fine. At least from our intel, Xiu Fei Fan's data has been retrieved and checked. There are 31 people named Xiu Fei Fan in all of Lungmen, and one of them is a guide. As for that shoe guy you mentioned, our tech team checked his financial transactions. He had substantial online expenses, but it's in different places, and there's no problem."

"Tch." Swire, upon hearing this, didn't bother looking at the documents. "So, there was no problem after all? Wait a minute!"

Her expression changed. "How did you know what I was investigating?" Swire looked at Hoshiguma with a suspicious gaze. "I even treated you to milk tea!"

"You better treat your subordinates next time." Chen opened the door and walked out. "That way, we can avoid hearing rumors about the young miss wanting to go Dutch, and I won't have to waste my time checking documents for such nonsense. What a hassle!"

"I don't care!" Swire shouted towards the closed office door.