Chapter 48: Each Investigating Their Own

Instant decapitation!

The black-clad individual could have never expected that his head would be severed with just one blow.

But as his head flew into the air, he witnessed an even more terrifying sight.

Xiu Xian inserted a piece of originium into his neck.

But that wasn't all. With one hand, Xiu Xian pulled his head back, pressed it firmly against his neck, and a cruel smile appeared on his face. "Goodbye!"

With that, Xiu Xian lunged out of the darkness, and immediately, a thunderous explosion echoed throughout the room!

The movements of the remaining five black-clad individuals froze simultaneously, their faces filled with shock and disbelief!

Though it was just an explosion, they seemed to know that their comrade had died.

One of the black-clad individuals' eyes instantly turned red. "Bastard!"

He roared in anger, and the next moment his human body began to transform, with steel claws suddenly protruding from his hands!

"What's this?" Eli, his opponent, asked in shock as he kept retreating!

"We're in for a fight." Chu Ning's voice rang out. "Fei Fan, do you have anything with heavy firepower?"

Before he could respond, several crossbow bolts whizzed and struck the transforming individual, followed by gunfire echoing in the warehouse. A sinister voice emerged. "That's enough!"

From the darkness, more figures stepped out.

Leading them was a white-haired young boy, followed by two Reunion casters. And beside the black-clad individuals, three lurkers suddenly made their presence known. Xiu Xian knew that another one with a crossbow would be nearby.

The boy who stepped out was Mephisto!

Another Reunion squad leader.

The transformed individual who had been hit by several crossbow bolts suddenly roared in anger, but Mephisto simply said coldly, "Faust."

"Bang!"

An explosive bolt struck the individual, who grunted and reverted from his transformed state, collapsing to the ground.

But surprisingly, his comrades didn't react as violently this time. Only one person ran to his side, checked on him, and then actually breathed a sigh of relief.

"Mephisto?" The voice of Crownslayer echoed. "What are you doing here?"

Mephisto looked at Crownslayer. "What's wrong with me being here?"

Crownslayer frowned. "Do these people have anything to do with you?"

"I sent them to pick up He Lao," Mephisto said, then looked at the leader of the black-clad individuals. "I don't remember telling you to fight our comrades."

"She attacked first," the leader said grimly. "Not our fault."

"So it was a misunderstanding?" Mephisto smiled. "Since that's the case, just come back with me."

"No way!" Crownslayer and the leader both spoke at once.

Crownslayer looked at the old man. "He Lao is now suspected of betraying our information. Can't you see what he's done to our operations at Lungmen?"

"I've always been aware of the situation," Mephisto replied.

Crownslayer tightened her grip on her blade. "You'd better explain yourself!"

"Those rats wanted to use us to find the informant. I wanted to use them, and to transmit some messages I wanted them to convey at critical times. This was a plan," Mephisto paused, then said disapprovingly, "but you've ruined it."

"What?" Crownslayer laughed incredulously. "Do you know how many people your 'plan' led to us? Your plan? Why didn't you tell me? Your schemes almost got my team killed! Twice!"

Thank you for the clarification. Here's the corrected translation:

"I have my considerations, you have your tasks," Mephisto smirked. "We see things differently, Crownslayer. I reported my actions to Big Sis Talulah. If you have any grievances, you can complain once we get back."

"What about these people?"

"I guess you can say... allies I'm working with?"

"Do I not have the right to know the specifics?"

"At least for now."

Crownslayer gritted her teeth, grunted, and fell silent.

On the other hand, the leader of the mysterious men in black said, "One of my people is dead. Hand over the murderer, and we'll leave."

Crownslayer shook her blade. "You wish!"

The leader didn't speak, just looked at Mephisto.

The latter's gaze swept over and landed on Xiu Xian. "How did you kill him?"

Back when he was on Earth, Xiu Xian hated Mephisto, the bratty kid, crazy, ruthless, and unscrupulous. Mephisto always gave Xiu Xian the impression of a psychopathic monster.

So naturally, he didn't try to be nice at all. "Blew him up with a piece of originium. What is it to you?"

His position and the speed of his unsheathe, combined with the chaos at the time, made Xiu Xian confident that his actions weren't seen.

Mephisto fell silent for a moment, a hint of playful smile on his face. "Interesting."

The leader of the men in dark then said, "Someone must be held accountable."

Xiu Xian snorted coldly. "You assaulted my boss, letting you off the hook with just one death is already quite generous of us!"

Crownslayer was taken aback and discreetly glanced at Xiu Xian.

"You're asking for it!" Another black-clad person was about to attack.

Xiu Xian put his hands in his pockets and took out four pieces of Originium. "My Originium Arts can make these explode. Don't believe me? Let's try it."

Eli shuddered nearby, "And I was wondering why he brought those before we left."

The leader continued to look at Mephisto. "Someone has to take responsibility."

Mephisto looked at Crownslayer. "Forget it," Crownslayer sneered. "My people were trying to save me. I don't think there's any problem."

Mephisto shrugged and looked at the black-clad person. "Then there's nothing I can do. She's right; her people did nothing wrong, so I can't do anything about it."

"Then leave," said the leader. "We'll handle it ourselves."

"Mission comes first," Mephisto smiled. "If your actions hinder my plans, then we're no longer partners. Of course, I promise you, after this is all said and done, I won't interfere with whatever you do."

Crownslayer gritted her teeth, "You're a madman!"

Mephisto ignored her and looked at the black-clad leader, "Well?"

"Fine." That black-clothed leader looked at the explosion wound on his other companion and the Reunion members that surrounded them, and nodded, "We'll settle the score later."

"Then let's go." Mephisto nodded and left.

Crownslayer looked at Mephisto's retreating figure and suddenly shouted, "We'll investigate the matter independently from now on! Manage your own people. If our identities are leaked because of you, Mephisto, I'll guarantee that you will never be part of the Reunion!"

"No problem, everyone's on their own," Mephisto waved and left. "But... it's quite strange. Both you and Frostnova trust him so much."

With that, Mephisto turned around, looked at Xiu Xian, and said, "I'll keep an eye on you."

"Go play elsewhere," Xiu Xian didn't bother being nice at all. "I don't have time for brats like you."