67- Sirens

(Edited)

Akira

I gasped and woke up. My phone was ringing. I looked at the time. It was two AM. I wonder who's calling at this late in the night...

I took my phone, my eyes widening at the caller ID.

Mom.

Before I could attend, the phone stopped ringing, and I unlocked my phone to find 17 missed calls from her. Some were from 4 hours ago when I had my phone on silent, and some were recent. I dialled her number again, but this time she didnt pick up.

I threw my phone on the bed and changed into something warmer. I took my four daggers hiding under my bed and strapped them onto my waist.

The missed calls were no good news to me.

I took my hero costume boots thrown in the corner of the room after we came back from training earlier. I put them on and looked back at my room one time.

My stomach churned.

My eyes fell on the picture hanging in the mirror. A picture of me and Katsuki from the aquarium. I smiled at the picture and faced the door.

...

I took a deep breath and teleported outside Mum's house. The door and windows were shut. I knocked on the door, hoping she would respond. However, she did not answer the door. I teleported inside when she did not reply after two minutes. The house was pitch dark. The only light coming in was from the thin white curtains.

"Mom...?" I said out loud, taking slow steps inside. No one responded.

"Mom, are you there?!" I said a little louder, the result only being my voice echoing back to me. Maybe she's asleep. It's two, after all... but then why'd she call me...?

I walked into the living room. It was the same as usual. The couch, sitting in front of the TV, bookshelves hanging on the walls. Where family pictures once sat was empty now, replaced with pictures of just me and Mom. I stalked into the kitchen, wooden floorboards creaking under my boots. There were no signs of Mom here either.

I teleported to the floor above. I turned the handle to moms room, opening the door, expecting to find her there. However, her bed was empty. In fact, it was already made. As if she never went to bed. No creases in the sheets and the blankets were folded neatly, kept on the end of the bed. My breath hitched, and I ran to my room, opening my old room. It was the same as it used to be, but Mom wasn't there either. I shook my head and checked the bathroom and the storeroom.

I hadn't realised my hands were trembling when I sat on the couch downstairs, blades clinking. I blew air on my hands, cooling my sweat. Maybe she's out drinking? She used to stay out late till night with her friends. Maybe she drunk called me...?

I took my phone out and called Mom again. There was no response. However, my ears perked when I heard a buzzing sound. I cut the call, and the buzzing stopped. Mom's phone was home. I stood up and rang her number again, and the buzzing sound returned. I followed the buzzing and ended up in the kitchen. I couldn't find the phone on any of the shelves. I was going to give up when I felt like the sound came from the floor, I crouched down, and sure enough, the phone was thrown under the cabinet.

My hand couldn't reach that far under the cabinet, so I touched the floor and teleported the phone in my hand. The screen was cracked from the corner, a single long crack going along the length of the phone. I tried unlocking it, but it seemed like she had changed the password.