Comfort

"This is unacceptable, Alaina."

"Totally, who even is this guy?"

"I know guys, but he was frustrated and upset about me standing him up. It makes sense," I explained as I was putting on my earrings. Max and Carlos showed up at my hotel room right after I had gotten out of the shower. They demanded I gave him a rundown of everything that has happened between Charles, Christopher, and me.

"If Charles had to come in and save you, that makes it unacceptable. I can just imagine Christopher screaming at you," Max said as he was pacing behind me, waving his hands all over the place.

"Screaming? He wasn't screaming," I defended him. He technically was, but he technically wasn't.

"He wasn't? Then what was he doing?" Carlos asked as he crossed his arms across his chest, standing up from the bed.

"He just raised his voice, slightly," I said, my voice softening with every word. I knew they were right, but this was just a one-time thing. Right?

"Alaina, darling," Max said, turning me around so I could face him. He grabbed my shoulders, shaking me slightly, almost as if he was trying to wake me up from my sleep. "He's bad news. No man, not that he is one, should raise their voice at you."

"Not even us, although we are tempted to right now," Carlos butted in, standing next to Max.

"Maxie, Carlitos, I'll be fine," I gave them a comforting smile as I slightly patted both of their faces. "Now let me finish getting ready I'm starving and I need to meet Charles in ten."

"You see. This is what surprises me the most. You going out on a date with Leclerc. Who would've known?" Max said, sitting down on my bed.

"I'm not surprised. I knew it from the beginning," Carlos shrugged, sitting beside Max.

"First of all, it's not a date. Second of all, knew what from the beginning?"

"If it's not a date, then what is it?" Max questioned.

"A simple team bonding dinner, that's what it is. Nothing else."

"Alaina, mi niña [my girl], don't lie to yourself," Carlos said, as he nodded his head disappointingly.

"I'm done here, and I'm starving. Bye."

"Have fun!" Carlos waved, "Do everything I would do!"

"Don't listen to him and come back at a reasonable hour!" Max screamed as I headed out the door.

"Bye, Mom. Bye, Dad!" I waved, finally shutting the door and walking to the lobby. I love them.

~

Walking into the lobby, I immediately spotted Charles. He was wearing a matching light brown linen shirt and pants, his little brown curls falling perfectly on his head. Turning to look at me his eyebrows raised slightly and a smile grew on his face. Coincidentally, I was wearing a linen two-piece, with shorts and a crop top, that matched his outfit.

"Valentine," Charles said as I approached him.

"Did Carlos tell you what I was wearing?" I laughed, completely dumbfounded by the coordination.

"No, he didn't," Charles laugh. That laugh. Dear God that laugh. "Shall we," he said, extending his arm out so I could walk ahead.

"So tell me, where are you taking me seeing as you happen to know more places than I do."

"It's a surprise, Valentine," raising a brow at him he continued, "I know you don't like them, but just this once."

"It better be good, Leclerc."

Opening the door to the car he had rented out he said, "I thought I was past the last name-calling?"

"Right now you are not," I said, stepping into the passenger seat.

~

The car ride was quiet. A comforting and peaceful quiet. The city lights of Miami were in full effect, The Magic City truly showing its colors. Looking at the window I was in awe. This past week with Christopher he had shown me the city as well, but during the day. It was beautiful, but from what I am seeing now. Miami's true beauty is at night.

After about fifteen minutes we arrived at a small and secluded restaurant by the beach. Going in, Charles had already made reservations and we were taken to one of the outside tables. "God this is beautiful," I said, looking out at the beach. The restaurant was a little higher than the shoreline, but they had stairs that went down to the sand and lights that lightly lit the area around it. The sound of the waves accompanied by the live band was absolutely stunning. I had never experienced anything like it.

"It is, it really is," Charles said, looking back at him I found him looking right at me. A soft smile was placed across his face and the glow in his eyes was evident.

Once our food came we began to talk about what we had done in the past years. Accomplishments we had achieved and failures we had to endure.

"So, you and Blanc, huh?" Charles said as he took a sip of his wine.

"What about Chris and I?"

"Boyfriend and girlfriend. From what I remember, you never had one. And seeing as you haven't brought up any exes I'm guessing he is your first?" Charles explained, leaning back on his chair.

"No."

"No, he's not your first boyfriend?"

"No, we are not boyfriend and girlfriend. And no, I haven't had time to date anyone."

"You said you were serious about him."

"We are, but he hasn't asked me officially," I said looking down at my plate that had a little bit of leftover steak.

"Then why did he say girlfriend?"

"I'm just as confused as you are. He's been a little..."

"A little what?"

"Weird and irritated this past week, I don't know how to explain it," Yes you do. You know he is rushing things.

"Do you feel like he's taking things a little too fast?" Charles asked, leaning forward.

"Yes."

"How does that make you feel?"

"In all honesty?"

"The full truth, you know you can trust me," Charles said, placing reaching out to grab my hand.

"He scares me," I said, not hiding anything from him. "I barely know him and he barely knows me. How could I possibly date someone who doesn't know me the way they are supposed to, you know?"

"Yeah, but he shouldn't," Charles responded. Turning to look at the beach he got up and reached his hand out to me. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I questioned, grabbing his hand regardless.

"We are taking a little walk."