Promise

*Charles POV*

"You can not die first."

"What?" I laughed, sitting up. We were currently sunbathing out in what we like to call our little hidden paradise. The small spot on the beach is where we are away from everything and we do not need to worry about anything.

"You are not allowed to die first. Between the both of us I go first," Valentine responded, keeping her eyes closed as she continued to sunbathe. She looked absolutely breathtaking but her responses were just confusing me.

"Why is that?" I asked turning my whole body to her, curious as to what was running through her mind. Her mind was odd and beautiful. No one knew what she could be thinking but once she spoke her mind it was obvious what she was thinking. If that make sense?

"It's the law. It's our law. Okay? Okay, good to hear we agree," she simply said not letting me have any say.

"Come on, get up," I said, grabbing her hands and sitting her up. "Tell me the truth preziosa, why must you go first? I could not bear losing you."

"You can. I could not. I've lost too many people in my life. Losing you would be losing my life. Papa and Jules were important figures in my life. I love them dearly and their death truly did hurt. But you are a special case. You are my everything. Losing you is losing everything. I could never live to see that day. If you leave I would leave with you. Which is why I must go first. Will you promise me that?"

"Valentine..." I sighed. She was playing a dangerous game of life. I could not promise her something I could not accomplish for certain. At any given moment I could die. I almost died about a month ago, who says something like that won't happen again?

"Charles, you need to promise me this. I could care less about any other promise you make. This one, this is the one that matters," she begged as she stuck out her pinky.

"I promise," I said, interlocking our pinking before kissing my thumb as she did the same before we twisted our hands to form a heart.

"Good," she nodded contently.

"Why would you think of this on my birthday week?" I laughed.

"I don't know," she chuckled, "Odd timing but makes sense."

"It totally does not make any sense, preziosa," I laughed even more.

"Whatever, make it make sense," she shrugged.

*Alaina's POV*

"Are you ready?" I shouted from the room. Charles was currently in the restroom finishing up his hair. I had planned a surprise dinner party with our closest friends to start off the week. Charles being Charles was taking forever to get ready.

"I'm done, I'm done," he said coming out of the restroom and fixing his sleeve. He was wearing a light beige suit with a white shirt under. Looking up at me he stood in awe, which was the current state I was in. "Dear God," he whispered, grabbing his chest.

"Beige is most definitely your color," I said to him, as he walked up to me, grabbing me by my waist and bringing me close to him. I was wearing a white dress with a floral pattern that was slightly see-through.

"Are we getting married?" he asked, looking me up and down, completely dazed.

"What?" I laughed.

"You're wearing a white dress, I'm wearing a suit, it's my birthday week, you are surprising me with so many things. Are we getting married?" he asked again.

"Unfortunately, we are not. You have not officially asked me, so we will have to wait."

Without another word he knelt down on one knee, keeping his grip on me, "Marry me, Valentine."

"Charles," I laughed at his bluntness.

"If you won't marry me right now at least promise me you will eventually," he begged as he pulled me closer to him, resting his chin on my lower stomach as he looked up at me.

Caressing his hair, I smiled, "I promise to marry you, mi vita." [My life]

"Mi vita? I love it," he smirked in response. He took out a box from his pocket and opened it. "Good, because I had this planned out for later tonight but I couldn't wait anymore."

Looking down at the box a beautiful gold ring was shining up at me. It resembled a star. To many, it may seem simple and small, but it was perfect. "When did you get this?" I asked in pure shock.

"I got it the same day I met you. After Jules introduced you to me and we spent the whole day together I had the urge to buy this ring for you. I didn't know when I was going to give it to you or why I had bought it. But I understood later on. It all made sense, you make sense. You are all I want, Valentine."

Tears formed in my eyes as Charles confessed this to me. I don't regret anything we have been through. From the years we spent together to the years we spent apart. It was all perfect. He was perfect. Watching him place the ring on my ring finger felt more than right. It felt like the missing piece. He made my whole life make sense, there was nothing I needed anymore. He was it.

Kissing my hand, he stood back up, placed his hands on my jaw, and kissed me. "God, I love you more and more every day."

~

My favorite chapter to right so far, hehe.

Anywho, how are we feeling? Little promise ring who?