Why

It was now Sunday and from yesterday's qualifying, I was able to get pole with Charles right behind me. It was a perfect outlook for the team.

It's nice being able to stay in your house on a race week, it's peaceful. But once again, I was awoken by an awful banging on my door. "The sun is not even out," I whined as I opened the door, already knowing who it was.

"Buongiorno, preziosa!" [Good morning, precious!] Charles sang as he kissed me on both cheeks before making his way into my kitchen.

"What are you doing?" I groaned, wanting nothing but to be in bed and sleep.

"I am making you breakfast, so go get ready," he dismissed me as he took everything he need from the kitchen. "Everything will be ready by the time you get out."

Not having the energy to say argue with him, I made my way to my bathroom to shower but halfway through I smelt burnt. Not even a minute later, the fire alarm went off and I quickly hopped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around me. "Charles?!" I called out as I came into the kitchen.

"Don't worry, Valentine!" Charles said, as he was attempting to blow out the smoke and small fire coming from the oven with a rag. "Happens all the time! You finish getting ready."

Making my way to him, I grabbed the fire extinguisher from under the sink. Putting out the fire I turned to look at him, "What was that supposed to be?"

"A casserole," he sighed, looking down at the burnt casserole.

"How about we do this," I said, leading him away from the kitchen, where he clearly did not belong. Not be sexiest or anything but this man cannot cook to save his life. "You sit down and look over my notes," I began, giving him my notebook from the coffee table. "And when I'm done getting ready I will make us breakfast."

"But I was supposed to-"

"It's your home race, I think I should be the one spoiling you today," I persuaded. Nodding his head I made my way back to my room to finish getting ready.

~

"Ok, Senna. You have a good pace."

"How far away is Charles?"

"0.8 seconds behind you." We were in the last lap of the race. I had been holding pole for the whole race while Charles stayed behind defending Max.

"Bring it home, Charles," I whispered as I began to slow down in the last corners.

"What?" was all heard over the radio before I saw Charles overtake me on my right. The checkered flag waved as he passed the finish line.

Parking my car, I saw Charles standing in his halo, pumping his fist in the air. I turned to look at his family who showed nothing but pride. Coming out of my car I felt a presence beside me. "Why?"

Turning to my left I found Max standing beside me, looking ahead at Charles who was now hugging his siblings. "Why what?"

"Why did you do it?" Max said, turning to look down at me.

"Why did I do what? I asked, even though I knew what he was talking about.

"Alaina. This was your win. Why did you let him pass you and win?"

Looking at Charles I watched as he was now pointing at the sky, clearly dedicating the race to his father and Jules. "He deserved it. It was his to win from the beginning."

"Alaina, he's not that far from you to winning the championship."

"I know. Neither are you," I defended, but Max was right. Charles, him, and I were all fighting for the championship. We were all head to head-with each other. "But it's his home race, I'm sure he would've done the same for me."

"Holy shit," Max whispered as he took his helmet and balaclava off.

"What?" I asked him, as I also took off my helmet and balaclava.

"You are in love with him."

Before I could respond to that a pair of arms wrapped themselves around me, lifting me off the air. "Preziosa! Preziosa! We did it!" I let out a giggle as Charles kept swaying me back and forth in the air.

"I'm so proud of you Charles," I whispered as I wrapped my arms around his neck, feeling him slowly bring me down. His arms stayed on my waist as he embraced the hug. "And I know your father and Jules are proud as well."

Max and my team could tell me everything they want about me giving up the win and the points, but I could care less about any of those things. Charles deserved it, he has been through so much. He needed this more than I did. His family was here, his home was here, his everything was here. To him, it was much more than another win. He brought the win home for both of us, not just himself.