Rest

Charles and I had gotten out of the hospital three days ago. There were no significant injuries, just some bruising, minor burns and cuts, and a mild concussion. Nonetheless, the doctor ordered Charles to remain on bed rest for at least two weeks. That was exactly what we did.

We were currently lying in bed, the curtains and winds open as the Monaco sunrise greeted us. "Morning, preziosa," Charles said as he placed a kiss on my head. I was cuddled next to him, my chest and hand on his chest.

"Good morning, Charles," I smiled up at him. "How are you feeling today? Anything hurt?"

"I'm all good. Just that I really need to shower, I feel gross," he wined.

"Charles, you can't shower on your own. You need to be careful with your burns."

"Help me, Valentine. If you help me, I won't hurt," he pleaded.

"Charles," I scorned.

"Please, please, please. I would have already had you in the shower if you were me."

"Fine," I caved. "But let me get the bath running in the tub, and once it's ready, I'll help you out of bed."

"Yes, ma'am," he saluted as I made my way into the bathroom.

~

Charles was currently sitting in the tub as I sat on the edge of the tub, beginning to rinse his back and head. "How does that feel?" I asked him, nervous that he might find the water too hot or cold.

"You have no idea, Valentine," he moaned as he leaned his head back onto me. "Thank you."

"For?" I asked.

"Taking care of me. You could be doing other things, but you're here."

"You took care of me. Now it's my turn to take care of you," I said as I began to rub the shampoo into his hair. "Plus, I love you a little too much about you to not take care of you."

Turning to look at me, he placed his hand on my cheek, looking back and forth between both my eyes. "Valentine, will you be my girlfriend?" Stay quiet. I was in shock. I knew he was going to ask me sooner or later, but never did I expect him to do it when he was in this condition. I thought the only thing on his mind was getting better. "I know I didn't do a fancy dinner like last time, but-"

"I don't care, Charles," I interrupted him, nodding my head.

"I know, but I said I would do it right," he said, looking down.

"Charles, this is more than right."

"You think so?" he asked, looking back up at me, his eyebrows lifting instinctively.

"I have never been more sure about anything," I smiled, resting my forehead on his.

"You're too good for me," Charles said before he brought me into a kiss.

No.

You're too good for me, Charles.

~

In honor of Charles's birthday, here is a super short chapter.

Happy Birthday, Lord Perceval!