Heal

Arriving at the hotel I gave my final goodbye to Christopher, wishing him nothing but the best. Once the elevator door opened I found Charles sitting in the hall next to my room, "Valentine," he said as he stood up from the floor.

"Charles, what are you doing out here?" I asked as I approached him.

Turning to look around the hall, he scratched the back of his neck, "I'm not sure." Nodding my head in response he continued, "How was the dinner?"

Sighing and looking at the floor I turned to look back at him, "How about we come inside?" I sighed pointing to my door.

Bringing him into my hotel room he asked as he sat on my bed, "Was it that bad? What did he do?"

"Everything was alright, we had dinner at this secluded table on the beach he had this whole set up and after dessert he sort of, maybe..." I began.

"He sort of what?"

"Asked me to marry him?"

"HE WHAT?!" Charles screamed as he stood up from the bed.

"Asked me to marry him."

"What happened to asking you to be his girlfriend?" Charles asked as he began to pace back and forth. "He totally skipped that part! You're supposed to be girlfriend and boyfriend first before anything else!"

"Well, that's what I thought until he got down on one knee and proposed."

"What did you say?" He asked, stopping and turning to look at me. "Valentine, what did you say?"

"No, of course. I was going to say no to being his girlfriend."

Sighing, Charles sat back down on the bed and laid back on the sheets. Walking over to the bed, I laid beside him as we looked up at the ceiling and took in the peaceful silence for a few moments. "How did he respond?"

"He was slightly taken back, but he understood why I said no."

"Good."

"Yeah, good."

"Why though?" He asked as he turned to look at me.

Turning to look at him I questioned, "Why what?"

"Why did you say no?"

"I- I'm not ready for that sort of commitment," I began as I turned to look back at the ceiling. I wasn't going to tell him that he was the reason, at least not yet. "I don't think I am ready for any sort of commitment at all. I need time to heal some things from the past and see what I want for the future."

After a moment I felt his hand grab mine, "Let me help you," he said.

"What?" I asked, turning to look back at him.

"Let me help you heal from the past. Let me help you figure out what you want for the future. Let me help you, Valentine."

"Charles..." I whispered.

"Please, Valentine. I owe it to you after being gone for so long," I sat up and Charles followed me, never letting go of my hand. He grabbed my other hand and held both of them to his heart before continuing, "I need to help you."

Looking at his eyes I knew he was being genuine. I knew he would do anything and everything to help me. But if I was completely honest, I was scared. Not of him, but of healing. I had been putting off this healing process for a really long time, and knowing that I would now have to approach it would be really difficult. "Promise you'll be patient with me? I know it's been years since things have happened, but I really need to take it slow." I asked.

"I will be as patient as you need me to be, preziosa. I have waited this long, I can wait a little longer."

~

Had to publish today in honor of Jules.

JB17