Chapter 7: Mauretania || Part 3

[[2 June 25 B.C.E || Alexander]]

"Helios!" Philip shouted as he rode into our seashore home. I was standing by the stables, brushing Flamma's long mane. The groom had just given her three apples; therefore, she was ready for an adventure.

Philip came and jumped off his hose, very immediately that I was surprised he did not collapse or splinter his bones. I frowned at the idiot, "What is it?"

"This!" Philip put up an unraveled scroll in my face.

I frowned, "What is it?" I glanced back at Flamma.

"Can you not read!" he exclaimed. "Here," he turned it towards himself, "it says that all patricians or wealthy peoples of Mauretania can and are allowed to come to the royal celebration in the palace."

I, outraged, pulled the document out of Philip's hand. I read it for myself and threw it on the ground, "Today was supposed to be the day I agreed to make a debut for Helena!"

"Helios!" Philip shook me, "you can bring Helena to the palace, I am sure there are shiploads of nobility from Rome and the far East to celebrate the coming of a new King and Queen. She has better prospects in this royal celebration, with imperial peoples, than she ever will in a modest party held by some common merchant."

"My family is very wealthy," I fought Philip, "with our trade we help feed, cloth, and raise Imperial family."

"Not as much as the money they get from their conquests," Philip snidely remarked.

"Fuck," I stomped on the paper, and raised my hands into my hair, "What am I going to tell Helena."

"You are over thinking this." Philip shook his head, "she will be fine with it; either way she gets what she wants. I do not know why you would be fretting over something so little."

"All the important patricians are coming from Rome?" I asked my fists clenching beside me.

"Yes."

"My mother is a noble," I scowled at him, "Helena hates her, and I do not want to see her, either." I partially lied.

"A family feud that can be overlooked," Philip waved, "the palace is enormous; you will hardly see each other."

I groaned exasperatedly and the anger swelled so much inside my head that I attempted to punch Philip, immediately, when he tried again to convince me.

"Uh," I sighed and pulled myself on top of Flamma.

"So are you coming?"

I did not answer and clutched the reins, telling Flamma to speed up into the markets. I would buy new cloths for Helena and for myself. I was going, despite my initial opposition. I would also buy a gift for the future groom and bride. I wondered who they would be.

"Aye, Helios," the cloth peddler smiled at me as I entered his shop, "did you hear of the wedding today?"

"Unfortunately, yes," I smiled charmingly at the man, staring at his wives' newly purchased cloths. "Is your wife sewing dresses, then?" I asked.

"Aye," he nodded leaning on the counter, "she and a few other tailors were brought to the palace, summoned by Augustus himself, to suit the imperial and royal family. A grand lot they all are."

"It's quite peaceful in the empire," I noted, "thanks to them. I believe most people are sick of those wars." I touched a vermillion cloth that would look lovely on Helena. I turned around, "Though, there are a few uprisings, I hear."

"Augustus canna' get them all," he remarked, "you've got a keen eye for politics don't you."

"It seems," I pointed at the vermillion cloth, and he moved towards me in reaction. I moved on around the shop looking for cloth the shade of green. "I desire to buy this cloth as well," I pointed at the perfect shade of juniper green, "When your wife returns, I would like her to design the red cloth into a red chiton, no sleeves, but a stream of the same color, transparent, attached to silver brooches on the shoulders. I do not want gold on the red dress; I will leave the imagination to your wife on how to design the rest of dress. She should have Helena's size recorded; Helena comes here often. For the juniper cloth, I would like a tunic made. I want it designed with gold. I will leave her to design it."