Chapter 2: Triumph | Part 2

[[Selene]]

Being on the parade float for the entire afternoon was extremely infuriating, as well as tiring. But getting off the parade float and into Caesar's presence was another word.

Alexander was next to Juba and a bunch of the people I wished to be with. I was next to Caesar and the imperial family.

I was behind Caesar and his draconian wife, but next to his seemingly friendly step-son Tiberius. Drusus was behind us, playing with Antonia Minor, or what I've chosen to call her, Toni. Drusus was a sweet and playful little boy, about Ptolemy's age, and he instantly grew on me. His brother however, still needed to be further analyzed.

The imperial family and their entourage walked the rest of the way to Octavia's house, and may I say it is the most gorgeous home I have ever seen thus far. The house was on top the Palatine Hill, so it was a long hike up the hill. I wondered why the imperial family decided that they'd walk up the hill instead of ride all the way to the top. They are royalty are they not? Wait, Rome did not have royalty; but they are of importance right? Maybe they just wanted to look humble.

"How do you like it here in Rome Selene?" Tiberius began.

I gazed at Tiberius' face. I did not expect him to ever speak to me, "It was extraordinary, but-" He cut me off.

"But," he smiled slightly amused, "But you felt like you were being tortured." He looked forward.

"How did you know?" I asked neatly putting my hands in front of me as Tiberius and I strolled up the remaining half of the hill.

"Because I saw how you glared at my step-father. You looked at Caesar with hatred, rather than fear. Something like that makes a man worry you know."

I cannot believe what I am hearing. Was Tiberius really giving me insight on how his clever his step-father really is?

"Why are you telling me that?" I inquired anyways.

"I was hoping you would draw a connection from it. You are Marcus Antonius' daughter right?" he flashed me a charming smile.

I smiled back at him, "Yes, I get it." He is warning me not to always look like I want to kill Caesar, even though I really want to.

"Good also," his smile dropped, "I hear you fell for Marcellus' looks." He glanced back at the entourage.

My smile dropped and I blushed.

He chuckled, "Marcellus is not necessarily the brightest Selene, and he is arranged." He took on the tone Juba used when he told me they were engaged, "So just leave it at that and Selene," he looked back at me.

I gazed at his face that seemed handsome as the light from the fire illuminated his boyish features. I saw a softness in his face I haven't noticed before, it caused my heart to race faster.

"You might be destined for greatness as I am," he smiled, "and Marcellus as everyone knows is far from greatness. Look for those that desire you and you desire, Selene. Don't look at those that you only desire, desire can create suffering." His charming smile flew away as we reached the door to the house, which would then lead us to the vestibulum and from there we will make our way to the triclinium were we will eat.

"Sit next to me Selene." Tiberius quickly whispered in my ear before gliding off to his mother's side. I was now left alone.

I heard loud footsteps and then my brother was next to me again, "Well that wasn't as bad as I thought." Alexander admitted.

"No it was worse...for me." I glumly looked around.

"Why?" I asked.

"They paraded us like trophies!" I almost yelled.