Chapter 38: The Eclipse

[[Alexander || January 5 B.C.E]]

"Your Majesty," the old Greek Astrologer and some hired augurs approached with worried faces. The physician was the last to enter the great courtroom of the palace. Juba sat on his throne, while the one beside it sat eerily empty. Ptolemy would be too young to sit on a throne, and Juba forbade him from entering any meetings concerning politics or his mother. Juba is the sole ruler of Mauretania.

"You will speak first." He pointed immediately to the physician who regularly diagnosed my sister.

I stood at the bottom of the great steps watching at the young man approached with steady eyes. I was neither nervous or worried, as I could not display any form of misaffection now. I would not put my sister's name in scandal because I acted out of place.

"Her Majesty is progressing through her illness. There is nothing I can do, but ease her towards death. We offer her sedatives for her comfort, but the pain it is too great. She will not last much longer, and she is in the process of creating her will and last testament. All she asks directly is that you prepare your divine self, and your children. Your Grace, there is no cure. I promise you, I have even asked my contemporaries in the East. There is no cure for this disease, but there are ways to make it somewhat comfortable. So I ask of you, I plead, prepare yourself for the worst." He bowed and turned swiftly away.

I looked up and found Juba's face pale with despair and rage. The entire atmosphere of our kingdom darkened. The sun shun, but never evoked the same warm flourish, that he had when our Queen was smiling everlastingly under the twirling of the sky. I found my eyes falling, but never did a teardrop from them. My sister, it seemed would be the one to leave me, in reality. I prayed that she would find the world beyond better than this frigid reality that she leaves us all behind in.

I lift my head when the King would not speak. "You, the Greek."

The astrologer bowed and spoke with a solemn voice, "My sincerest apologies, Your Grace." He bowed his old head. "I was watching the stars last night and fell asleep. I dreamt of a gorgeous full moon, blocked by a darkness. When I woke up it was still night and I looked at the stars, they were all almost patterned in a beautiful scene. It is not complete but it seemed the Gods are sending us signals from the way they align the stars. It is spectacular."

"Augurs," The King ignored the astrologer, "what do you see in the coming months."

"Thank you for your information," I smiled at the Greek who left in embarrassment.

"It's going to happen," the leader begun, "it's going the happen when the moon kisses the sun. When the moon beams a bloody red, and snake scales caress it. The following months will be trying for you, Your Majesty. I suggest paying tribute to the Gods, before the end of the month. The Gods are still your favor, this thirty-fifth year of the Queen."

Juba stood, "It is Selene's birthday again." He quickly scaled down the steps dismissing the augurs most rudely.

"Thank you for the time," I tell the augurs before they leave. I follow Juba afterwards, leaving the empty courtroom. "Juba." I exclaimed, attempting as fast as I can to follow him.

"I need to tell her felicem diem natalem, and I don't care if it kills me."

"Juba think rationally. You cannot die. You're children are barely old enough to rule and much less grow up without parents. She would want you to stay away."

"How can I!" He turned around and grabbed me. "How can I stand here and watch her die?" He screamed in frustration at me, while his eyes swelled with tears. "How can I stand here, how I live? I can't."