Chapter 28: Sons

[[Selene || February 8 B.C.E]]

'One day,' she began, 'you will sit on my throne, with one of your gorgeous brothers, and rule this entire kingdom. While you rule this Kingdom, you will seek national independence, you will spread our culture and religion, you will advance trade, and most importantly, you will show this world of men, that women can best them even at their own game.'

'Those are high ambitions Mother.'

She smiled at me, and I could not help but twist my shy ten-year-old lips into a sunny smile.

'Well,' she smirked, 'we are women. It is a sin to be anything less than ambitious. Do not be afraid to admit it.'

I sighed, 'So I will not marry Zain then?'

She scoffed, 'Of course not.'

'Because I am Macedonian, and of higher importance?'

'Yes.'

'Then why did you arrange it?'

'I needed his father's lumber to build my armada. The last thing I want is my people to rebel against me because I increased their taxes and working hours. It's better if the King of an insignificant African country feel the wrath of his people than me and Caesarion. You must remember that, my love, if you seek the throne. Rule with equal love and equal fear from the people. When the people love you and fear life a without you or what you can do to their small lives, you own their loyalty.'

I nodded, 'So I will marry one of my brothers?'

'Caesarion,' she grinned, 'when you begin to bleed you will marry Caesarion.'

'Why not Alexander?' I ask.

'Because he is the second son, and he will marry to win the East. You will remain here for the rest of your life, as Queen of Egypt, as I have.'

'What if I don't become Queen of Egypt?'

She became silent.

'Mother?'

'Don't say such things.'

'But what if I don't?' I pressed and looked into her green eyes. She didn't look at me, but instead kept walking.

'I do not know.' She relinquished, 'I would die before I see what you become.'

'You won't die when I become Queen.' I spoke innocently.

'That is how royals ascend to the throne, Selene. The previous one must die, for the new one to ascend. Do not be so naïve when you are older.'

I silenced at my mother's scolding.

'You will learn that people are cruel to the naive, even if she is a Ptolemy.'

She walked away from me, and left me alone in the sand.

******

"Mitéra...Mitéra...Óchi(Mother...Mother...No)!"

I yelled for my mother. I wished that she would stay, wished that she had lived, wished I could have bore all this pain. Someone shook me, and I felt it. I felt my body trembling and wet underneath a hood of thick blankets. Then I heard a voice, a voice I recognized and loved with every beat of my heart.

"Mater...please wake up." He kept repeating those words, with his little hands touching my wet ones. My son...Ptolemy.

Slowly, my eyes fluttered open, and even though the room was dim, my eyes stung and wanted to bleed. I closed them again, but moved my fingers, using them to feel. The first thing I felt was my boy's face and how large he has grown in the months I have been in seclusion. I wondered how my other children were doing.