Chapter 1: Rome

"Valentina!" Octavia's voice gracefully echoed through the house.

Valentina arrived carrying layers of new silk dress, one the color of aquamarine. It's pale blue and green hue reminded me of the Nile during the summer.

She arrived and came towards Octavia. "Yes Domina?" She asked after bobbing her head and setting the lush silk tunic on my bed. "Is there anything else Domina?" she inquired.

"Yes, Valentina," Octavia turned to face her, and stopped her fussing with my hair taking away the hot curling stone which she held dangerously close to my face. "Please get up, Selene." She said gently while walking away. 

I obeyed Octavia's request, and got up from the stool I had been sitting on to gaze at myself in the mirror. The soft curls of my hair were now combed out, and my eyes widen with surprise at their cleanliness. They flowed down from my head to the midsection of my back with as much youthful grace that it could muster.

Octavia moved away and stood next to Valentina. Both women seemed to be inspecting me.

"Domina how old is she?" Valentina looked at the fair Octavia.

This was the only time I really got to see the slave that had been tending to me since my arrival. Valentina, truly deserved the name she was given. She had thick copper hair which curled only at the ends. Her face was the shape of a heart, and her innocent eyes were the color of lapis lazuli. She must have been the same age as Caesarion.

"Why don't you ask her that question yourself, Valentina?" Octavia asked with a smile at Valentina, but eventually returned to examining me. She glanced between the tunic and me.

"Yes Domina," Valentina nodded her head and turned to me. She was truly very gorgeous. I wish to match her beauty one day, "Domina Selene?" she gazed at me.

"Yes," I answered looking straight at her as they both stared at me.

"May I inquire as to how old you are?" she politely asked.

"I am to turn twelve when the New Year begins." I answered reasonably.

"Ah," she smiled at me.

I took that as a warm greeting.

Octavia finished inspecting and began her careful criticism, "You are too young and bony to properly grow breasts. Have you started your monthly course yet? Never mind that, and please Valentina, take the old chiton off her." Octavia's voice reverted to a commanding tone, which is reminiscent of the family she came from. 

Valentina with light hands stripped me of my chiton exposing my bare flesh to the two women and the cool chamber.

"Domina, we must feed her at once," Valentina announced silently, as though my starvation is a cause for loss. I run my fingers down the bones of my ribs which protruded through the soft skin of my body, "What do they feed you child?" she asked.

"I am no child." I say somewhat defiantly.

Octavia ignored my remark, "Hmmm, Valentina she had been at sea for the longest weeks, for now we will dress her. We shall have the Princess ready for dinner, shall we not?" Octavia smiled. Suddenly, I felt happy at hearing I will be a part of a normal dinner. 

The two women focused on separate tasks while I sat on the end of the bed looking towards the windows. 

"You are so young," Octavia stated amazed, when her eyes fixate on me.

"I know." 

"I had been younger than you when...another conqueror destroyed my kingdom. I'm glad they treat you better." She shared and shamefully looked away.