Chapter 34: Off to the Races || Part 2

[[Alexander]]

Underneath the seats of the circus, there were steps that led to illuminated exits and stone archways containing numerous shops. Selene and I traveled through the archways into those shops. People buzzed and accumulated through these concrete hallways during the recess, but there was a decent amount of space around us, so that no one could touch us. I told Selene, I could manage on my own, but she desired - as she always had before - to come with me. She had a few more guards now after her abduction, but she did not seem bothered by them. She carried on like a Goddess.

"How do you feel about Caden racing?" She inquired loudly amidst the constant buzzing of the people buying and selling.

"I do not agree with the idea." I admitted, "But he has been training for a few years now, it seems." I made a left turn towards the jewelry shop. I intended to pick up a gold touch piece and a charm bracelet I pre-ordered made for him. It would have gold dolphins linking one another with white seashells.

"It's good that you are purchasing charms for him," she stood a few feet away admiring the other shops and people who passed by. "He needs some luck."

"Imagine if Gwen were here to see his first game?" I imagined as I waited patiently for the jeweller to return.

"She would have been scared...and then thrilled." She laughed answering me with a big smile on her face. "I miss Gwen very much." She narrowed her eyes and I looked away too.

"So do I." I passed some silver denali to the jeweller and exited with Selene. "But I believe she would be more thrilled than afraid for Caden. Once, when we were in Britannia, Gwen's father raced horses with him, and taught him to ride and fight with the barbaric weapon, the mace. His movements were graceful and robust, hitting the correct targets and showing Caden to fight with ferocity. Gwen was fiercely proud, but of course I was completely mortified. Caden thrived there, he lived for the crisp cold air and the gorgeous scenery. It seemed like he was more of them than us."

"All of your children - except Lysander and Galen - look like Gauls." She noted.

"None of your children look like Berbers." I retorted scathingly.

"Well," a playful grin stretched across her pink lips, "my blood seems to be thicker than yours."

I rolled my eyes and played with the bracelet in my hands, watching it twinkle under the shine of the golden sun. "You think he will accept it?" I asked my sister, "He doesn't believe in the Greco-Roman Gods, or the Hellenistic-Egyptian Gods that you so patron. It won't mean anything to him."

Selene does not say anything to contradict that, nor does she agree, in fact she doesn't say anything at all. We casually walk through the shops in a silence, both lost in our own thoughts and apparitions. Our action seemed similar to one that old friends and old lovers would do, just stay in the silence of each others company, admiring the little things around them as a break from reality. I picked out the token from my pocket, my very own good luck charm. I pressed it betwixt my index finger and my thumb, glossing over it's new beauty. Augustus' head and words were minted on the front and back of the coin, and I rubbed the silhouette of his head. The man who wanted me dead. Thank the Gods, I would never see him again.

We walked up the steps to our box, and Selene and I parted ways. She walked towards her children, and I picked up a full cup of wine and exited the box, again. I would be in the center temple, of the Spinae, guarded by columns and pillars and pools; however, first I would meet Caden. I travelled around the circus, towards the carceres (gates), while the announcer exclaimed that there would be fifteen minutes left before the final game would begin. Becoming one of the nominated charioteers, Caden's face grew with anticipation and excitement. He and two others would be racing the "winner" of the previous games, which caused the boy immense satisfaction. As anyone can imagine, it stroke fear in my very split soul.