Chapter 5: Reckoning | Part 1

[[29 November 30 B.C.E || Selene]]

Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

-Aristotle

What Aristotle taught my many times great-grandfather Ptolemy, was incoherently correct. I closed the scroll and replaced it in Octavia's library shelf. After I had done that, I searched for another scroll to fill my scholarly needs. My life in Rome has become increasingly boring. Tiberius would visit me of course, and I would see him at Ludus of course, but everything has become a cycle, and I thirst for more.

"Selene?" I heard a voice faintly familiar call to me. I turned my head and the soft metal of thin silver earrings grazed my cheek. It was Juba.

I straightened my white tunic and wrapped my red wool shawl decently around me. I was cold, which is strange considering I have never felt cold in my life. Italy was bitterly cold. "Salve, Juba." I smiled faintly at him and returned to my browsing.

"What are you doing up so late at night?" He walked closer to me and the warmth from his body seemed to radiate from him to long distances. He was not so close to me, but I could feel his warmth, without touching him, and it felt splendid. He wore a simple toga tonight and it looked rather different.

"I am searching for a story to read," I say impassively, "in other words, I cannot sleep."

"Oh," he picked out a scroll nonchalantly and passed it to me, "this one should fill the desires of your mind as well as put you to sleep.

I picked up the scroll from his hands and unraveled it, "The Republic," I smiled, "by Plato. Intriguing," I grinned, "but this is not the complete one."

He looked baffled, "You want the other scrolls too?"

"Of course," I yawned, "but I think, I shall just read this one."

"You are tired," he empathized.

"Yes," I smile slightly, "but not sleepy."

"Well since you are thirsting for intelligence," he looked honest, "I could help you understand the works of Plato. I did grow up in Octavia's home too, and I learned from one of the best tutors in Rome, thus becoming a tutor myself. However, I chose the life of a general and a merchant, because Caesar needs my skills in war, and I am a good friend of his. I grew up with Caesar much like how you and Alexander are growing up with Marcellus and his kin. We are lucky."

My mouth gaped slightly open, and finding it rude, I spoke, "You were raised in the same household as Caesar?"

"Yes," he grinned, "I do not like to talk about it much. However, I am much like you Selene." His gray eyes stared deep into mine.

I looked away and nodded, "We are a like then," I murmured.

"Yes," he concluded, "Caesar is a kind man, and believe it or not, he is looking after your safety, as well as the Republic's."

If Caesar is a kind man, who looks after our interests as well as the countries and its dependencies, then he should have left us in Egypt and let my brother and I rule. I kept that thought to myself and changed the subject. I glanced at the first paragraph of the scroll and immediately looked up to Juba, "Perhaps you should enlighten me as I go through this "thickset" endeavor," I smiled, "Yes Juba, to your previous question, you may help me understand Plato's teachings."

Juba smiled, "Alright then," he looked around Octavia's library, which was not as grand as the poor library burned in Alexandria, "Perhaps I should take you to my villa. It's not as big as Octavia's but it's a home."