Chapter 17: Respite

[[Alexander]]

I saw Selene travel down her steps like an albino rattlesnake - magnificent yet malicious. She walked with all the pomp of a Queen but lacked the complete patience of one. Her belly during the eight days had softened. Although the curve of her belly was still there, she seemed to retain her old body. Of course, she does not look like how she was when she was fifteen, but she looks the same ever since she was twenty. Always have and probably always will. She is the elegant and loving Queen we all know, but internally I could tell she was as livid as the volcano that erupted on Pompeii. I quickly moved to her, without recognition from the surrounding nobles, and walked beside her as if I had been with her all the time.

We walked in slow procession towards the hall to the large tablinium. It seemed as if she wanted to be out of the palace. I doubt anyone would stop her. "Bonum mane, Your Grace." I humbly bowed my head to my Queen.

"Salve, Helios," her features softened seeing me. However, she quickly evaded such a reaction, as it would cause an incessant amount of questions.

"How are you today?"

"Splendid."

"It does not seem like it." I commented and she smirked at my answer giving me a simple sidelong glance.

"I will tell you why once we are away from this wretched place."

My dearest sister was definitely not in a good mood. She was leading us to the right wing porticus. It was her favorite spot in the entire palace, as it contained her favorite animals. As people watched us go through the room, afraid of the calm wrath of their Queen and questioning why I was following her, Selene grumbled and thought. Her face although serene, was fixed in a noticeable frown. She plainly did not want to speak with anyone, but I was not anyone. She quickly grabbed a golden goblet of wine before exiting the atrium.

We quietly made it to the portico where the illustrious blue eyes popped amongst a rich green. The peacocks turned around and looked at us, in surprise. The female peacocks were in the left-wing portico and there eggs were kept in inventory in the peristilio and would be distributed to various porticos around the palace. They were marvelous creatures and sweet meat when they became too old. Selene never ate peacock meat, however. She thought it vulgar to eat the pets she raised. It reminded her of the moment when we were young and we saw cheetahs slaughtered by gladiators in the arena. No one seemed to be near, but Selene would not risk my life by speaking so loudly.

"Alexander," she hissed.

"Yes," I followed her towards the colorfully tiled fountain and the manicured hedges of rose bushes.

The pleasurable sandstone felt warm underneath my sandals, but must burn Selene as she lifted the hem of her long gown and removed her sandals from her dainty feet. Her feet touched the clean floor effortlessly as she holds her things in one hand and let down her hand with the other. She threw her sandals onto the floor and continued to carry her hem and cup of wine. As she drank she observed the scenery and breathed the fresh air. She climbed the seat of the fountain and stood gazing at anything she found interesting. The peacocks seemed amazed as to what their mistress was doing and gathered around the fountain looking up. She sipped from her wine but avoided my face.

"How have you been, brother?" She whispered the last word, but only so loud so only I could hear it. The water spewing out from the fountain was loud enough for people around us to miss her name me 'brother'.

"I have been great. I cannot thank you enough for appointing me Regent while you were indisposed."

"I did not trust anyone," she spoke honestly, "and Juba let me choose. He has his moments...you know...he's not always so rudimentary."