Green Blossom

It has been well over a week since I left Luna Nova in search of rare treasures. As expected, Ursula was worried about me going back out into the Arcturus Forest, and like with Holbrooke and Akko, I had to assure her I would be safe.

Such concern for my well-being was rather welcoming, I can't deny. It reminded me of those who prayed for my safety when I was travelling the lands of Lothric, most aptly the Firekeeper. How I wish she was still here, at my side...

Regardless, I remained focused on my new duty and searched high and low for anything of interest. I would run into the occasional wild beast that tried to turn me into its meal, but my blade cut them down with ease.

But once again, the day was drawing to a close as the skies slowly turned orange and dark. I would have to set up another bonfire soon, but I could feel it in my skin that I was close to making a discovery. In a sea of twisted trees ahead of me, I could see a small clearing highlighted in rays of sunlight.

Such a display practically begged for investigation. Of course, I kept my wits about me and approached cautiously with my blade and shield at the ready. I kept an eagle's eye on the lush yet faded surroundings around me as I reached my destination.

Stepping into the light, I cast my gaze to the ground as I see several patches of green flowers. But something about them looked eerily familiar. As if I had seen them before. Kneeling to get a closer look, I set aside my sword and pick up one of the plants.

As I felt the leathery texture of the 'flower', I realized these weren't flowers at all. They were weeds. And once I held it up in the air to see it in its entirety, my eyes widen as it finally hits me.

These were green blossoms. A type of weed I've come across during my journey through Lothric. They were useful for giving me a boost in stamina in instances where I needed it.

But more importantly, for me, this was a clear sign that the Age of Fire had indeed occurred in this realm. Why else would a plant from my time exist here? Now it was even more imperative that I speak with this Fafnir dragon. I was fully confident that he descended from the dragons of ancient.

I stowed the green blossom within my armor as proof, along with a few more for myself. As I was picking some more, however, I felt the ground beneath me begin to vibrate.

I could sense a great foe approaching. From below.

Reacting quickly, I grabbed my blade and backstepped from the patches of weeds in time as the ground bursted and a large creature reared its blue, triangular head. It's piercing yellow eyes glowed as four sharp mandibles snapped at me.

Once it pulled the rest of its body out of the hole, I could see it resembled some kind of large insect. Four long legs stomped into the ground, all connected to a large thorax with an even larger abdomen. Like the head of it, the parts were all a deep shade of blue.

It clicked its mandibles rapidly as it lurched towards me, and I readied myself for an attack by raising my shield and staring up at the creature. It was clearly trying to intimidate me, with how it stared down at me with ravenous intent.

But my nerves are of steel. They would not shatter so easily.

And after everything I've faced before, this thing was but child's play.

Finally, after an intense stare down, it lunged forward and attempted to slam me into the ground with its mouth. I rolled to the side, letting it daze itself momentarily before I began to unleash several quick slashes to its front legs. It had thick armor of its own, I'll give it that.

It let out a sickening screech before swiftly turning its body to headbutt me, but I raised my shield to dull the impact and only push me back slightly. I needed to strike it in a critical section. Once I broke its poise, this fight would end swiftly.

I rapidly step side to side, keeping my eyes on it as I anticipated another attack. As I had predicted, it would once again try to clamp its mandibles around my body and dive headfirst towards me. I roll back, letting headbutt the ground as it let out a pained shriek.

Now was the time to strike.

Gripping my sword with both hands, I put my strength into delivering a powerful thrust and stabbed my blade into one of its eyes. It shrieked louder in pain as yellow blood sprayed out, with more to follow when I forcibly slashed to the side and carved into its head even more.

It finally fell to the ground, and a new opportunity revealed itself. Acting quickly, I sprinted over to its thorax and hopped onto its abdomen. There was no time to waste. I raised my blade high into the air before thrusting down, piercing the middle and driving my sword into where its heart would be.

It let out a harrowing final screech before the life in its eyes were extinguished. Now nothing but a husk, it crumbles to the ground in a heap and a loud thud. I let out a sigh of relief before removing my weapon from its bloodied abdomen, sheathing it and my shield before hopping back to solid ground.

With the monstrous insect felled, I took a moment to glance around in case any other threats were attracted to the sounds of combat. Thankfully, none were to be seen. For now.

I look back at the ground where the green blossoms were, only to see that they were now scattered and torn asunder from the battle. No matter, I still had the ones on me.

For now, I had to start getting some distance from here before anything else comes by. No doubt the smell of a fresh kill will attract other predators.

As I made my way out, I debated whether or not to return to Luna Nova. Despite finding these green blossoms, I have failed to find anything that could truly be considered treasure. I didn't want to return empty handed.

At the same time, I assured Holbrooke I would return in two weeks at most. And I knew it would take several days for me to retrace my steps and return to Luna Nova. Good thing I had carved out markers in the trees during my journey to help lead me back.

Last thing I needed was to get lost in this maze of a forest.

With the sun now setting, I quickly built a new bonfire and rested for the night. For when morning came, I would start my trek back to the academy. No doubt my return will quell the worries of those wishing for my safe return.

I did wonder, however, if anything of interest was happening over there in my absence. I would find out soon enough.