Relics

Sneaking into Croix's lab was a lot easier than I had predicted. Compared to when I was with Ursula to save Akko, not a single defense came up to block my path. All the more reason I had to keep my guard up, in case she had something to surprise me with.

Once I reached her lab, I slowly walked through the line of capsules containing various objects. Including that rusted armor from before. Useless to me, given its condition. After some searching, I finally stumbled upon something that caught my eye. It was a gray great axe enclosed within a glass capsule, and given its size, I had a good idea what wielded it before.

It belonged to that possessed suit of armor from back in the Canopus Ruins. Which means if it was now here...hells, has Croix been aware of my existence this whole time and has been spying on me? Or just a wild coincidence?

Either way, I had to retrieve it and get out as soon as possible. I examine the panel with several buttons displayed before pressing the largest one. To my surprise, it unlocked the capsule, and I was allowed to take the axe without further problem.

I didn't want to push my luck further, so I quickly started to make my way out after strapping the axe to my back with some straps. But once more, I slowed down and gazed at the rusted armor and crown. Something about it was just so familiar to me...but why...

Then I heard a voice I didn't want to hear. "Got bored and decided to sneak around my lab, Ashen One?"

I slowly turned my head to see Croix standing right beside me, who had a bemused expression on her face. That's when her gaze shifted to the axe. "And take a souvenir with you too, huh?"

The orange glow from the capsule containing the armor bathed us both in its light, as if we were both lit with flames. I stayed silent for a moment before speaking. "It never originally belonged to you to begin with."

"That so? Do explain, I'm curious now."

"...Because I fought the thing that wielded it twice." We stared each other down for a solid minute before she let out a scoffing chuckle.

"Really now? I guess that explains why I found it on the ground next to those scattered scraps of armor. You have no idea how much of a pain it was to extract it from those ruins." She crossed her arms, and now she was showering me with mock praise. "But hey, now I know who was snooping around those ruins before me. You must be a natural at it."

"Hmph...more than you know. So, what are you going to do? Force me to give it back?"

"Nah, keep it. You fought the thing that had it, only makes sense for you to claim it as a reward. Besides, not like I had any use for it other than as decoration."

"How kind of you." My tone was rather flat, no surprise to her.

"Well, don't let me keep you here. You're free to go." She states nonchalantly before walking past me. But I wasn't done with her yet.

"Croix. What is your true end goal? With Akko and the Shiny Rod?" I heard her stop in her tracks, turning around to face me. She now held a smirk.

"Well wouldn't you love to know." I narrowed my eyes at her response, but she simply crossed her arms again while leaning back. "But I guess I'll give you a hint; I'm correcting the wrongs of the past."

"And let me guess. It involves Chariot and the Grand Triskellion."

"Bingo. I'll succeed where she failed, and I won't let anyone, or anything, stand in my way."

High ambitions within this one. And tis clear as daylight that she'd do whatever it takes to get her way. Similar to that of... "...You remind me of a tale I once heard of." She raises a brow, visibly intrigued.

"Explain."

"Long ago, there was kingdom ruled by a man named Gwyn. He had high ambitions, much like yourself. The dream of reigning over the lands for all eternity and herald a new age where man was dominant over all else." I slowly turn to look at the rusted armor, my gaze set firmly on its crown-like headpiece.

"For a time, he made it a reality. But the passage of time revealed how brittle his reign truly was. As his kingdom slowly eroded, he became desperate for a way to bring it back to its former glory. He looked towards the fire that granted man the power to rule and infused himself with it at a cost; damning his people to walk the lands as hollow versions of themselves. To forever be cursed and unable to die."

I turned back towards Croix. "Gwyn sacrificed everything just to ensure he had his way, even if it meant inflicting endless suffering to all those around him. And in the end, he was consumed by the very thing that granted his kingdom power. Tis a tragic tale of a man who brought about his own kingdom's death in trying to save it recklessly."

"Which is why I ask you, Croix. Is what you're trying to gain really worth destroying what little you have left?" My question visibly drew out her ire as she gave me a dirty look. Gone was the facade of level-headedness and in its place was pure contempt.

"Chariot already destroyed whatever was left of our friendship herself. If this is your attempt to dissuade me from going through with my plans, then needless to say it isn't working. Like I said, nothing will stop me from acquiring what was rightfully owed to me. Not even you."

Tense silence filled the air as we stared at each other, before I spoke in a threatening tone of my own. "We'll see about that. For your sake, pray that I'm not forced to use my sword against you."

Not wanting to be in her presence any further, I make my way out as I heard her chuckling darkly. If she said anything, I couldn't hear it as the door behind me sealed shut. No matter. Night had already fallen as I left the tower and made my way back to my hut with my new weapon in tow.

It'll be good to get some practice in with it before I decide to start lugging it around with me everywhere, just have to do it somewhere secluded and away from other people.

Especially from Croix. I still have no idea whether or not she's spying on me from the shadows, but I'm not going to take the chance to let her learn about my full capabilities as a fighter.

I needed to forge my own element of surprise.