The Noir Rod

When I finally regained consciousness, I tried to move my limbs only to realize I was bound in metal chains. Taking a moment to collect my bearings, I further realized that I was suspended in the air. All around me were walls of metal enveloping a myriad of orange and red lights.

The most concerning feature of the room, however, was the massive object at the center of it. It bore a striking resemblance to the Shiny Rod, albeit all gray and black and devoid of any light. Perhaps it was inactive? Was this what Croix was working on this entire time?

"Had a good nap?" Why did I not feel surprised to hear Croix's voice? Of course, she was responsible for the predicament I found myself in. Looking down at her from the ceiling, she held a calm expression that betrayed the smug satisfaction she must have felt.

I held my tongue for a long while until she finally spoke up again. "Like what I've created? It's the little secret I've been constructing." Her gaze was set on the contraption, before locking eyes with me again as she crossed her arms. "I call it...the Noir Rod."

"...What is it that you plan to do with it?" I finally asked, the disdain I had for her aptly apparent.

And she knew it as well.

"Finally acquire the Grand Triskellion, of course. Now that Akko is out of the picture, nothing will stand in my way of getting what rightfully belongs to me..." Her tone grew dark and bitter as the calm smile on her face degraded into a furious frown. "I don't need the Shiny Rod at all. Not when I have the Noir Rod in my possession..."

She then turns to me, a glare in her eyes. "Tell me, Ashen One. Have you ever been led to believe that you were destined for something great? Only to realize you were never meant to fulfill it?" I maintained eye contact with her, feeling the vitriol laced within her questions. I pondered on her words for a moment, remembering the life I had before becoming the 'Ashen One'...

When I attempted to link the First Flame, only to be burnt to ash by it...

"...Regrettably, I have. But I have learned that fate is never truly set in stone. Have you forgotten what I've told you all that time ago? Is what you seek truly worth destroying what humanity you have left?"

"So, I see...and here I thought we could finally see eye to eye..." A clenched fist rested at her side before her smirk returned. Albeit a forced one in a vain attempt to hide her bitterness. "No matter. As soon as the Grand Triskelion is mine, everything will be as it's supposed to be. And no one will get in my way. Not you, not Woodward, and especially not Chariot."

The sounds of footsteps could suddenly be heard, alerting both Croix and I. "Ahh, speaking of which...she's finally arrived." She turned just as Chariot arrived in the room, seemingly ready for a fight as she had her wand equipped. But she also had my sword and shield on her person as well.

"Ashen One!" She shouted in alarm and concern after spotting me.

"Chariot..." I replied back.

"Chariot. I knew you'd come here. And just in time to witness the Noir Rod work its 'magic'." After she said this, said machine would light up with an intense, menacing red glow. Chariot is visibly taken aback, seeing the machine activate and emit an intense hum the rang throughout the room.

"Like I told the Ashen One, the Grand Triskellion will belong to me once the Noir Rod unleashes all the stored-up Noir Fuel Spirit to crack open the seal." Croix proclaimed proudly, standing in Chariot's path.

"Croix, never did I wish things would come to this..." Chariot responded with a pained tone, a hand hovering her heart before she clenched it tightly. When she returned her gaze at her former friend, she held an icy glare. "But I will not allow the Grand Triskellion to fall into your hands. By any means necessary."