Secrets

A couple days have passed, and under the cover of night I looked over the maps Holbrooke had finally gotten a hold of for me. Neither her nor Fafnir were lying when they said the journey to it would be long. But nothing I can't handle.

Journeying through Lothric has more than prepared me for long treks.

Illuminated by the light of the bonfire, I planned the fastest route to the Keep until I heard some bushes rustling. "Who goes there?" I asked, my hand hovering over my sword's hilt.

A small squeak of surprise is heard until Ursula's voice spoke. "It's just me, Ashen One!" Once she came into view, I had eased myself and greeted her. Then she took a glance at the maps. "Huh? What's with the maps?"

Right. I had yet to tell her about my leaving. Now would be a good as time as any to inform her. "Have a seat, Ursula. I need to tell you something." She'd quickly have a seat next to me, allowing me to continue without delay.

"In a day or two, I'm going to be heading off to the Canopus Ruins. Fafnir said I would find the answers I seek there." I could see the shock on her face as I told her. "I didn't wish to leave without giving you a heads up. Since you're here, I figured I'd tell you now before it was too late."

"It's only been a few days, Ashen One! Do you really think it's a wise idea to go on another adventure already? To the Canopus Ruins, no less?" Her ruby eyes looked as though they were glowing thanks to the fire, filled with concern for me. I maintained eye contact.

"The sooner I uncover what lies within it, the sooner I will get my answers." She continued looking at me with a great deal of worry. "And as I've told Holbrooke, I have concerns that I may not be the only thing to survive the end of the Age of Fire..."

Ursula was taken aback, and even more worried than before. I could see the fear in her eyes. "Like what?"

"That I do not know. I only pray tis nothing serious." I cast my gaze back the fire, as I could only imagine what potential threat could have survived. Many of which would wreak havoc if allowed to breach the surface.

Ursula went silent for a moment, before letting out a low exhale. "Do you know how long you might be gone for?" She asked, prompting me to look back at her.

"...I can't say for certain." I replied somberly.

Ursula's hands gripped her skirt as she remained silent. I should have expected this reaction. I've taken notice of how much she seems to care about me, despite us only knowing each other for a short time.

Made this discussion all the more difficult.

"...Does anyone else know?" She finally asked.

"No, only you and Holbrooke know I'm leaving soon. Of course, everyone else will be able to catch on really quick that I'm gone eventually."

"That's not quite what I meant, actually..." I looked at Ursula, perplexed. But in an instant, I figured out what she meant.

"No... nobody else knows about my past. Aside from you and Holbrooke. I've been keeping it under wraps, but it's only a matter of time before I start getting pestered. Particularly by Diana."

Ursula hums quietly, taking a moment to ponder. "Alright...has Akko tried to ask you?"

"On occasion, but like with Diana, I've been able to dodge the question. But one can only dodge something for so long until you finally get struck down. I know I'll have to tell eventually."

"I know the feeling..." She whispered just audibly enough for me to hear. No doubt about it, we both were holding secrets from a certain brunette.

"...Speaking of Akko, she mentions this 'Shiny Chariot' person in high regard." The look on her face when I spoke Chariot's name clearly froze her up. "And judging from your reaction, you seem to know her to some degree."