Croix

I wasn't able to get any more out of Ursula, and in the past few days, life around Luna Nova continued without trouble. Yet whenever I saw Ursula, I could tell that she was more tense than usual. Even more so whenever Croix was nearby.

Despite my push for answers, she would tell me nothing and assure me that she'd be fine. With her unwillingness to tell me anything, I knew I had to take matters into my own hands. And that started with digging up more information about Croix. I did overhear talk about Croix being a former student here at Luna Nova, so I knew the best place to start would be the library and read through some old school records.

When I arrived at the library, it was completely empty. With one sole exception; Diana. Naturally, my presence didn't go unnoticed, and she turned to look at me with a ponderous expression. "Ashen One? What brings you here?"

"I could ask the same of you. But in short, I'm here to find out more about Croix." I reply earnestly, which elicited a thoughtful hum from her.

"Coincidentally, I'm also looking into more information about her." She presents an open book to me, which was a page documenting Croix's reputation as a student. I have to say, she looked drastically different in her younger years, having much longer hair and glasses.

"Then from the sounds of it, we tread the same path for the same answers." I replied inquisitively.

"Indeed. It would be easier to know more about her if I knew someone who went to Luna Nova with her at the time of her enrollment..." Diana ponders alongside me, as I continue staring at the picture of Croix. Given how similar in age she looked to Ursula, then perhaps...

"Uh, Ashen One? Diana?" Ursula's voice broke through my thoughts as I and Diana turned to look at her. "What're you two talking about?"

Before I could speak, Diana took initiative and spoke first. "We were just talking about Professor Croix. We're curious about her past here at Luna Nova." She brings a balled fist to her chin as she stares at Ursula. "Would you happen to know anything about her, by chance?"

Hesitation marred Ursula's face, even after she started speaking. I simply crossed my arms as I listened attentively. "Well, I do recall her being an incredibly talented student. She's a lot like you in fact, Diana. Erm, in terms of how great at performing magic, I mean! Very gifted..."

Diana perks a brow as I pondered on Ursula's words. If word about Diana's expertise with magic is anything to go by, then Croix's own magical abilities are phenomenal without question. All the odder that she seems to favor this 'Magitech' as it's called.

"Were you friends with her beforehand, Professor Ursula?" Diana suddenly asked, taking the blue-haired teacher aback in surprise.

"Huh!? No, of course not! I just know about her feats through word of mouth, that's all." Her nervous laughter betrays her denial of being associated with Croix. I was now suspicious, and it seems Diana was as well given her studious stare. "Anyways, I should get going. Got to take care of some regular teacher responsibilities and such. Take care, you two!"

Ursula was quick to take her leave, and once she was gone, me and Diana turned to each other. "She's definitely hiding something from us." Diana states bluntly.

"Without a doubt. I must admit, I'm a little disappointed in her attempt at deception." I sigh softly while unfolding my arms. "Regardless, it seems I'm going to have to pry into her a bit for more information."

"Very well. I'll continue to do my own research into Croix. And on Ursula." I simply nodded. The last thing I wanted was to rouse suspicion on myself from her. I made a promise to Ursula about keeping her true identity a secret, and I wasn't about to jeopardize it now of all times.

Just as I started walking away, Diana called out to me. "One more thing, Ashen One." I looked back at her, tilting my head as her arms were crossed and she gave me a rather tense stare. A tense, analytical stare. "I still would like to have the time to know more about yourself. You said you would, then disappeared for a good couple of months without a word."

Well, damn. She remembered what I said that long ago, huh? I only have myself to blame for this predicament. "Of course. I apologize for that. Just something important came up at the time and it required my attention. Just come to my cabin near the New Moon Tower at any point in time. I'll indulge you with the explanation."

Seemingly satisfied with my answer, she gives me a firm nod. "I'll hold you to it." With that out of the way, I exit the library and start looking around for Ursula. My search proved rather fruitless, as I wandered for a bit until I felt someone bump into my back. Turning around rather swiftly, my hand rested on my blade until I realized it was just Akko rubbing her head as she sat on the ground. The Shiny Rod lied on the ground next to her as well.

"Akko? Are you alright?"

"Ooh! Ashen One! Sorry about that..." I offer my hand to her which she gladly accepts, pulling her off the ground and back onto her feet. "Wasn't looking where I was going..."

I examined her briefly to see if she had any wounds, but she seemed alright. The resilience in this one is strong. "Now what in blazes has you in such a rush?" I ask as she picks up the rod.

"Oh, right! I'm going to see Professor Croix at the New Moon Tower! She said she'll help me with finding Chariot!" She explained in such an eager and excited tone that her eyes were starting to sparkle once again. But the sparkle briefly disappeared as she gave me a curious expression. "How about you? Are you trying to find Croix too?"

"No, I was actually searching for Professor Ursula. Just to chat with her. Nothing serious." Nothing serious, I say. Yet given what Akko just said and my own objective, I had a feeling that would change quickly.

"Oh, I see! I wish I could tell you where I last saw her, but I have no clue." She says in a defeated tone.

"I'm sure I'll find her eventually. Don't let me hold you up from seeing Croix."

"Thanks! See ya!" Akko sprints off as I resume my search. After having to trek through the halls for a good long while, I eventually found Ursula and called out to her. She freezes up and turns to me as I talk.

"I recognize that nervous gaze of yours, Ursula. You know more about Croix than you were letting on, don't you?"

I could see her lips suck in as she stares at me anxiously, before letting out a dejected sigh. "Nothing escapes you, huh?"

"Call it a hunch. Regardless, I need you to tell me the truth. You already know that I'll keep your secrets buried within me." I walk a bit more towards her as she looks at me. "You have my word."

"...Alright." She takes a heavy glance around to make sure nobody else was around before speaking in a hushed voice. "Me and Croix used to be classmates and best friends during our time as students. Things happened, however, and we drifted apart. This is the first time in years that I've seen her."

"What things, per say?" I asked, the notion alone causing her to fidget just a bit. It may have been uncomfortable, but I needed all the details to make an informed opinion on the whole situation.

"It...revolves around the Shiny Rod. I have a suspicion that it's the reason why she's returned after all this time." So, the Shiny Rod has a part to play in all of this. Yet if that's the case, then...

My eyes widen in realization. "Akko." I blurted aloud.

"Akko?" Ursula asked, her confusion now apparent as she looks at me.

"Akko told me she was going to see Croix at the New Moon Tower. She had the Shiny Rod with her as well." The color practically drained from her face as she looked horrified. Her eyes widen in fear.

"She's in danger! We have to go to her right now!" The alarm in her voice was paramount, and I found myself nodding in agreement.

"Then allow my sword and shield to aid you." Without hesitation, we both sprinted for the tower. In most other circumstances, I would've made a comment about jolly cooperation.

Yet nothing about this felt joyous in the slightest. Only nerve-wracking as it felt like a race against time to save Akko.