Respite

I found myself in the darkness once more, walking aimlessly. My footsteps rang loud echoes that traveled for miles, but no other sound could be heard. Did I find myself in the Abyss once more? It seemed to be the case.

Nothing but pitch black surrounded me, an empty Void. Where were the lush and vibrant green trees? The perfect, clear blue skies? The majestic stone buildings of Luna Nova?

Where was everyone?

Was it all just a dream?

Am I truly doomed to linger in darkness for all eternity?

"Ashen One, hearest thou my voice, still?"

The voice of the Firekeeper suddenly rang out, sounding both close and distant at the same time. I looked around frantically, her voice repeating over and over as my head began to ring. I tried to speak, but no words left my lips.

When I heard her voice one more time, I turned in time to see a massive pair of red eyes suddenly appear, blinding me with their intensity as they engulfed my vision with a blinding white and red...

"Ashen One?"

I jolt awake to the voice of Ursula, my head shooting up which startled her. I place a palm to my helmet as I groaned softly, shaking my head as I realized I was indeed dreaming. I was sitting in front of a dead bonfire, the trees and skies above me in their usual vibrant colors. The bells of Luna Nova rang for a moment.

I felt a wave of relief wash over me, thankful that fate decided not to be so cruel.

Immediately, Ursula began to profusely apologize to me, resting on her knees as she looked over me on my right side.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to disturb you! It's just that you were fidgeting in your sleep while mumbling. I was getting worried and..."

Her guilty face pricked at my heart. I did not wish for her to take blame for something out of her control.

"At ease, Ursula. No harm is done. The opposite, rather." I slowly stood up while looking at her, who now seemed to have calmed down and smiled gratefully. "I'm actually glad you're here, for I was hoping to see you. Tis been a while, hasn't it?"

I could see a faint blush appear on her face before she turned away and started laughing bashfully. "It sure has! I'm really glad to see you back in one piece." She turned her head a bit to look at me, one red eye staring into mine as she smiled sweetly. "Truly I am."

I do not know why, but seeing her smile and hearing her sincere words brought a warmth to my heart. But it was an... unfamiliar type of warmth.

Can't quite put my finger on it.

She then abruptly cleared her throat, visibly embarrassed. Perhaps she realized we were both just staring at each other and felt awkward. "Uhm, anyways! What did you want to see me for?"

"Ah, nothing serious. I just thought we could catch up, learn what I've missed during my absence." I replied calmly.

"Well, I do have a couple hours before lessons, so sure! I'd love to." She smiled softly as I nodded in return.

"Let's have a walk around the school then. After all, you still owe me a tour, no?" That had her visibly happy as her posture straightened, looking delighted that I remembered her wanting to show me around.

"Gladly, Ashen One. Come, this way." She started to lead the way for a bit until I started walking alongside her. In the time we spent trekking through the halls of the academy, we chatted and learned what each of us was up to.