Embers and Spirits

The embers coursed through my body as waves of green flames washed over me. Similar to when I absorbed a normal ember's power, I felt a surge of strength rejuvenate me. Embers of a green hue flowed from the openings of my armor, with patches of white Fuel Spirit concealing the damage.

But it seems my own appearance wasn't alone in its change, for Akko's uniform had changed colors. It was now pure white with the red highlights that symbolized her team's color still intact. Most interesting aspect, however, was that the Shiny Rod now resembled a longsword. The orbs were lined along the blade in similar fashion as before, radiating with Fuel Spirit.

"Woah!" Akko shouted in amazement before the Soul of Cinder garnered our attention once more. A powerful gust of ashen smoke nearly knocked us back as the Lord broke free once more, bolts of lightning still gripped tightly in both its hands.

"Akko, have you ever wielded a sword before?" I asked in earnest.

"Uhh, not really?" She responded, worry evident in her tone.

"Then I shall have to teach you on the fly. Follow my lead, I shall guide you. You can do it, Akko."

"I can do this... We can do this!" She shouted enthusiastically while giving me a grin fueled by determination. I let out a hearty chuckle before holding the hilt of my sword with both hands. A barrage of lightning bolts raced towards us after the Soul of Cinder threw them into the skies.

"Sprint and roll!" In unison, we rolled forward as we closed the distance. Akko, however, overshot and was dangerously close to our enemy. But fortunately, I was just as close and unleashed wave after wave of blows upon the Lord to gain its fury.

"Let your blade act like an extension of your body! Be swift yet committed to your attack!" Even in the midst of combat, I advised Akko as best I could. I could hear her let out a roaring scream before slashing upward along the side of the raging Lord. "Excellent, Akko! Press the assault!"

With guidance, she continued to deliver attack after attack upon the Lord while being cautious to evade his counters. I was immensely proud of her, but feelings of celebration were suppressed until after this battle could be won. And the Soul of Cinder showed no signs of giving in.

A well-aimed kick to my torso sent me rolling backwards as I groaned in irritation. Akko's alarmed shout is interrupted when the Lord grabs her by the scruff of her uniform and lifts her into the air. Its blade swung to the side as it readied to impale her.

"Unhand her at once!" I slammed myself into the Lord's side and drove my blade deep into the side of its chest, forcing it to release her before wrapping its hand around my neck. But Akko delivered a swift slash to its right leg that caused it to howl in rage, giving me enough time to counter with another stab to its helmet.

We were an unrelenting duo, no mistake about that. And it seemed we finally turned the tides of battle once more to our favor. But the Soul of Cinder had a few more tricks utilize. It hurled me towards Akko before another barrage of lightning struck the around us, never ending so as to keep us trapped in place.

At the same time, it pulled off a massive leap into the air, heading right towards us. "Behind me, now!" I shouted to Akko, just in time before the Lord crashed into me sword first. Though not without me doing the same, with my blade running through its chest. "Now strike!"

"But Ashen One-" Akko screamed before I interrupted her.

"Just do it!" My strict tone got through to her as she let out a shout and slammed the Shiny Rod into the head of the Lord. A loud crash rings out as helmet shards are sent flying into the air, the Soul of Cinder stumbling back and grasping at its nonexistent face.