Cinders

Embers danced across the scarred and burnt ground as dark ashen clouds filled the skies overhead. A fiery hue now soaked the once lush atmosphere as the Soul of Cinder stood before us all like a statue, staring directly at us.

"Soul of Cinder?" Chariot asked once more, disbelief evident in her tone.

"Yes, as loathe as I am to say it. Even after all this time, it seems the First Flame never truly faded away." I responded.

"You've fought that thing before?" Akko asked worriedly, clearly distressed by this sudden turn of events.

"Aye. And now it seems I am forced to fight them once more." The figure would then lift its coiled blade towards us. The concerned expressions of the others only bolstered my resolve to step forward.

For I wouldn't dare allow it the chance to attack them instead.

"All of you stay back. This is a fight I must face alone." I stated firmly, taking a step forward before feeling someone wrap their arms around mine.

"Ashen One, I'll fight with you! I can still fight!" Chariot contested, yet I could see the exhaustion in her eyes from the previous fight. I shook my head in response. Even if she wasn't tired...

"I won't allow death to befall you, nor anyone else. I have prevailed over them before. I shall once more."

Placing my hands on her arms, I gently pried her off me, much to her dismay and worry. I return my gaze upon the Soul of Cinder as it starts to approach us, dragging its blade behind it. I trek right towards it in return, ripping out the Dragonslayer Greataxe embedded in the ground.

"If I am to fall here, I shall drag you down to the Abyss with me."

With our weapons drawn, our pace picked up as we charged at each other. Then it took a great leap towards me, sword raised with the goal of impaling me into the ground. I rolled forward and wasted no time swinging my axe into its back.

Yet it barely left a dent as it quickly swung around and struck me in the chest with a powerful kick that launched me back. Slamming my axe into the ground to halt my momentum, I raise it in time to block another sword slash.

In the brief moment of our struggle, I could see the Lord's gaze glance at the others. "Focus on me, damn you!" I shouted, breaking through and cleaving upwards into its chest.

But still it had little effect on the Lord, retaliating with a quick swing of its blade that carved through my chest armor. Shards of metal and cloth are sent flying upwards, and I couldn't react in time as a powerful punch slammed me into the ground. The Lord's boot stomping onto my back further prevented me from being able to counter or create some space.

The panicked cries from Chariot and the others were audible, but my focus was still on the Lord of Cinders as it raised its coiled sword upwards. Poised to be thrusted straight into my head.

Yet before the final blow could be delivered onto me, a blast of magic struck the Lord square in the chest, staggering it off of me before magical chains wrapped and bounded its limbs to the ground. Chariot's voice rang out. "Move, Ashen One!"

Wasting no time, I scrambled away just before the Lord could break free. Once freed, it makes a lunge for the red-haired woman, much to my dread. Only to be met with a flurry of potions that burst into thick green clouds. I could hear Sucy's devious snickering while saying, "Never a bad time to experiment."

Whatever those mushrooms expelled, it left behind a thick substance upon the Lord's form as it struggled to move its limbs. Leaving ample time for Akko to charge up for another attack with the Shiny Rod. But for how long?