Diana

A couple weeks have passed, and there's been a noticeable lull as of late. Both I and Ursula have kept an eye on Croix to ensure that she wouldn't be trying anything with Akko, and fortunately she hasn't. Still, I did not allow my guard to weaken.

Even now, with Akko and her friends currently away in some place called Finland in search of the Fourth word, I kept a wary eye on Croix should we cross paths. She wouldn't say anything, only ever giving me the faintest of smirks with that calm expression of hers. I swear, her face was akin to that of a statue's; unchanging.

Anyways, for the moment I don't have to worry about Akko, for her and her team have travelled to a place called Finland in search of the Fourth Word. And Croix herself has secluded herself within that lab of hers. Perhaps I could dedicate today as a day of rest. Or so I thought.

I heard a knock on my door and went to see who it was, seeing that it was Diana. That's when I remembered what I told her earlier and sighed softly. Seems it was time to share more about myself to her now. I open the door and greet her. "Afternoon, Ms. Cavendish."

"Just call me Diana. No need for the formalities." Gesturing for her to come in, she takes a spot near the fireplace and crosses her arms as she stared at me stoically. "I don't think I need to explain why I'm here." I let out a dry chuckle before nodding.

"No, I'm well aware...alright. Take a seat, for it'll be a long story to tell." Once she was settled in, I wasted no time in explaining who I truly was and what the Age of Fire was. About my journey and how it was that I ended up in this age. Of course, I could tell just from her expression that she was skeptical of my word, even once I finished.

"No offense, but I'm finding all of this incredibly hard to believe for how outlandish it is. You really mean to tell me that you come from a time of history that hasn't been documented at all?" She asked in a doubtful tone.

"Whether you wish to believe me or not is up to you. I only speak the truth." She still looked skeptical, as expected. But my firm and unfaltering tone continued as I pulled out the dormant ember. "And this, is an ember. What once was an item that granted me strength, this one persists without flames for reasons still unknown."

Intrigued, she takes the ember from me and examines it further. "I can't say I've ever seen something like this before...and I've never read about it in any book related to magical items..." She hands it back to me and crosses her arms again. "However, this still doesn't mean I'm fully convinced."

"So, you admit that some of you is convinced?" I asked with a bit of snark to my tone, which only irked her. I promptly cleared my throat. "Apologies. Akko's personality may have rubbed off on me."

"...Speaking of which, I've noticed you have been around her more often these past few weeks. Care to explain why?"

"Well, I've been gone for several months, and Akko was particularly worried about me during that whole time. Just trying to make up for it by being more involved in her life, watching her improve in her magic."

A long hum came out of the platinum-blonde girl, choosing her words. "I suppose that makes sense. She always did talk about you excitedly whenever she had the chance, always talking about that time you saved her and her friends back in Arcturus Forest."

"As I've heard from Ursula. She mentioned how Akko missed me. The girl gave me such a constraining hug, I thought I was about to pop like a pimple."

"Sounds to me like you've left an impression on her. Honestly, she talks about you in such high regard that it's like you're Shiny Chariot." At that comment of hers, I momentarily froze and had to stifle a chuckle. Though she caught wind of it. "Something funny?"

"Slightly. Just what you said. Shiny Chariot's an idol to her and is the reason why she wanted to become a witch."

"I'm well aware. Frankly, I find it childish that she looks up to someone who gave witches a bad name."

"Still serves as good motivation for her. If it weren't for Chariot, I don't think Akko would've been inspired to become one. Motivation comes in many forms, and it is what drives us all forward. Surely you have a reason or two that pushes you forward through life, right?"

Diana looked back at me, pondering on my question until she sighed softly. "...I'll admit, I do. But I think we're getting off topic."

"Right. Your final verdict on me and my story?"

"...I'm still not wholly convinced that what you say is true." She slowly walks over to the door but stops halfway to look at me. "But I will keep an open mind and do some research on the matter. If you can provide more evidence in the future, I'll gladly look it over."

"Hm, very well. Let's hope fortune favors me and grants me the opportunity to discover more relics from my time. Also, I do hope you'll keep what I've told you about me a secret. Last thing I need is to be swarmed with further questions by curious students or be seen as a raving lunatic." 

"I will. After all, I don't seek to be regarded as crazy either." Just before she left, she glances back at me one more time. "By the way, I see you and Ursula together often."

"Yes? What of it?"

"I've been trying to find out more about her through the school records, but there isn't anything that mentions her having been enrolled as a student. You wouldn't happen to know why that's the case, would you?"

To that, I simply shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine."

Diana gave me a long stare, clearly studying me and my mannerisms. Without another word, she left. Seems I dodged an arrow there. But now that it's adamantly clear that she's investigating Ursula, means there's yet another risk factor of her identity being revealed.

Alas, there's little I can really do about her. I only have to pray that she doesn't find out about Ursula's real identity until after she's already told Akko. I'm sure after that, she'll have the confidence to tell more and more people herself.

But now the thought of discovering more items from the Age of Fire came to mind. Regardless of proving Diana I speak the truth; I had to get my hands on something that could help me in future battles. A new weapon, perhaps some new armor in case mine break at any point, or at the very least some utility like firebombs.

Then I remembered Croix's lab.

As dangerous as it was, she just might have stumbled upon such items and had them holed up in there. And taking risks was something I'm all too good at doing.