Wild Hunt

The next day, I wandered around the school to find the place unusually empty. Not even the Faeries were to be seen. It was only when I entered the cafeteria that I finally found out why.

A large crowd of students were watching some kind of projection. A fur-hooded man riding upon a large wolf was shown using a spear to pierce human-shaped entities shrouded in darkness. Intrigued, I found myself enthralled into spectating the show as everyone else around me cheered and watched with excitement.

"Hey! Ashen One!" Hearing my name, I turn to look at Akko waving me over to her, and with her were Ursula, Sucy, and Lotte. I walk over to them, giving them a wave in return.

"Evening, you four. I must ask, what exactly is being shown up there?"

"Oh, it's the Wild Hunt! It's an annual event where the Wild Hunters capture ghosts. It's really popular!" Lotte explained, which had me humming in thought.

"I can tell. Capturing ghosts for sport..." As the Hunt on the screen comes to a conclusion, it was revealed that the final location will be near a town called Blytonbury. Immediately, several students and even the teachers were conversing among themselves about how enthusiastic they were to watch it live.

"By chance, would you be interested in watching it with us?" Ursula asked.

"I don't see why not. Looks to be a grand time for everyone to enjoy." My gaze wandered a bit until I saw Croix on the other side of the room, who caught me staring and simply gave me a sly smirk and wink. I knew at that moment she was up to something, and Ursula thought the same.

"She's up to something..." Ursula whispered to me in a hushed voice.

"I suspect the same." I whispered back.

"Huh? What'cha two whispering about?" Akko abruptly asked us, looking up at us with a confused expression.

"Nothing, Akko." I replied suddenly, which just earned me a skeptical gaze from the brunette. But something else quickly gained her attention as she looked elsewhere. Tracking her gaze, I spotted one of those small machines that looked like a person with a large flat head. It carried a box of parts as it jogged towards the exit.

That's when something fell off, which prompted Akko to look back at me. "Don't worry, I'll make sure Stanbot gets it back!" She rushes off to complete her 'quest', leaving me with Ursula as we look back at each other. A slightly relieved expression rested on her face.

"That was perhaps a bit too close..." She says sheepishly. Once the cafeteria dispersed and we were fully alone together, I spoke once more.

"Ursula, there's something important I need to tell you."

"Go right ahead, Ashen One. What is it?"

"While I was training near the forest, I saw some odd cubes floating through the air. They flew away as quickly as I spotted them, and I lost track of them."

"...Do you think it's one of Croix's inventions?"

"That's exactly what I suspect. Alas, I can't confirm it for sure."

Her face twists into a troubled expression as she looks down, her fists balling up. "Then we'll just have to keep a closer eye on what she's up to. Thank you for telling me."

"Not a problem at all. We both share the same goal of wanting to protect Akko after all."

She gave me a warm smile at my response. "And I appreciate it deeply."

"On a lighter note, this Wild Hunt...is it a public event?"

"Oh, well not exactly. Ordinary people can't actually see the Wild Hunters or the ghosts, only those who are magically attuned. Really, the only people who will attend are more than likely just us here at Luna Nova, yourself included."

"Hm, I see. Then I guess I have nothing to worry about. I've been doing relatively well in remaining unknown to any outsiders." Barring aside those present at Appleton who saw me, but circumstances thrusted me into the fray. I wasn't going to just to watch idly and allow death to befall Akko and Amanda.

"Mhm! We can just enjoy the event in peace. That said, I'm surprised you were able to watch the Wild Hunt. Like I said, only people with magical training or magical creatures can see the ghosts and Wild Hunters." Ursula remarked, looking at me curiously.

"Hm, that is odd, isn't it? I wouldn't say that utilizing magic is my forte, though given I'm an oddity in this era...perhaps I'm deemed as a magical creature." I then start to chuckle, rather amused by the idea. "I jest, of course. Perhaps I'm simply gifted with magic."

"Perhaps you'd be interested in learning spells then?" At her offer, I raised a brow in surprise and intrigue as she smiled softly at me. "If you are, I can inform Holbrooke and arrange a time for you to receive a wand."

"I wouldn't be opposed to it, though I scarce believe it'll make me a student."

"No, no, just think of it more like a mentorship! You could train under me alongside Akko. I'm sure she wouldn't oppose the idea." Ursula laughed softly, which earned a dry chuckle out of me.

"Then consider the offer taken. It would be remiss of me to deny the opportunity."

"Great! I'll go inform the Headmistress." She glanced around, no doubt trying to see if Croix was nearby. But there was no sight of the schemer, which made her sigh briefly in relief. "I'll see you later then, Ashen One."

"Of course. You know where to find me." After saying our goodbyes, I made my way back to my hut. Though on the way, I thought back to the Wild Hunt and took notice of the weapons being used. The one sticking to me the most being the bow. I realized that I was in dire need to have some ranged utility within my arsenal.

As effective as magic would no doubt be, it had limitations and was victim to being rendered useless as the Faerie Strike demonstrated. I required a more practical method of ranged attacks.

Once I made it back to my hut, I looked at the forest nearby, then at my greataxe. Knowing what I had to do, I wasted no time in getting to work. It took most of the day, but my hard work paid off as I examined my newly crafted longbow. It didn't compare to what Andre made, but I was in no position to whine. I'm sure he'd say I did a fine job.

I let out a soft sigh. I had to admit, even though I'm grateful for gaining new allies in this era, a part of me still pined to see a truly familiar face. Andre, Cornyx, Karla, Irina, hells I wouldn't even mind Patches.

But out of them all, the Firekeeper was the one I sought to see the most. I still remember those final moments together, and how much I still regret not saying something sooner. Without her present, it really felt as though a piece of me was missing.

A knock on my door knocked me out of my somber thoughts and I hastily put aside my bow before opening the door. I saw none other than Holbrooke herself who gave me a kind smile as she looked at me. "Afternoon, Ashen One. I've been informed by Ursula that you were interested in learning magic."

"Aye, tis true."

"Then allow me the honor to grant you your very own wand!" She stated rather cheerily, handing me the standard wand utilized by students and teachers alike. Wishing to be respectful, I knelt down and gracefully accepted the wand. "This is actually the first time I've ever done this. But I have full confidence that you'll wield this wand responsibly."

"You have my deepest thanks, Miranda. I promise, I shall handle this wand and the magic I learn with great care." I rose back up while maintaining eye contact with her, who was smiling proudly.

"And at the request of Ursula, you'll be training under her mentorship."

"Sounds like a perfect plan. I shan't disappoint."

After goodbyes are said and done, I'm left alone once more as I examine my wand. It felt rather sturdy, yet a quick flick illuminated the magical stone within it. Satisfied, I strap it onto my belt before glancing back at my longbow. I realized that I now had quite a variety of weapons at my disposal.

Now I just had to become efficient with them on an equal footing. This was going to be a busy week.