Fafnir

"What do you know of the Age of Fire?"

My question elicited no immediate response from the aging dragon, but his stare intensified as the tension from earlier seemed to return. After a moment of silence, he spoke at last in an interrogative tone.

"How did you hear such a term?"

"Because I hail from it. I am the Ashen One, an Unkindled who traversed through the lands of Lothric to return the Lords of Cinder to their rightful thrones. And the one responsible for ending the Age of Fire." I answered plainly.

His eyes only grew more skeptical as he leaned his neck down, his arms crossed before letting out a scoffed huff. "And you expect me to believe that? How do I know you aren't some lunatic?"

I pondered briefly of how I could convince him that I was telling the truth. Perhaps if I mention another dragon...

"Have you heard of the great dragon of old known as Midir?"

The sheer utterance of the name caused Fafnir's eyes to widen in shock.

"Even among dragons, his name is scarcely known...for a human to know his name, then..."

"I fought him myself. As I was told, he was teetering on the edge of losing himself to the darkness, and I was tasked with freeing him of his torment. He was a powerful opponent, but I succeeded in granting him a true death."

My sincere and honest tone seemed to finally get through to him, for Fafnir was at a loss for words. He would raise his head back before sighing heavily, giving me a somber look.

"...Midir's name is rather infamous among those who have heard of him. According to legend, he was a corrupted dragon who inflicted vast destruction and death during an age forgotten by nearly all."

"The Age of Fire, I presume?" I asked, to which he nodded slowly.

"An age of man that is better left forgotten, as told by the elder dragons. At a young age, me and many other dragons were warned to never bring it up. In fear that history would repeat itself should humans ever learn of it."

He soon turned his gaze away from me, looking at the wall of screens as he continued speaking. "Being a descendant of dragons who managed to survive the wrath of man during that wretched age, it fueled my own disdain for mankind, and I sought to never interact with man to any extent. Of course, you can see how that turned out...but what else was I to do? I could either consign myself to a fruitless past and die with it or adapt for the future and survive."

"As you put it, you needed to change with the times." I replied, which earned another glance from before he let out a chuckled huff.

"You catch on quickly. More than I can say for those witches." Once he was facing me completely, he stared me down with a questioning gaze. "Now that I've all but confirmed that I know of the Age of Fire to you, what else do you seek?"

"I wish to know where I can go to find further proof of the Age of Fire's existence in this realm."

"For what purpose?" Fafnir asked in suspicion, narrowing his eyes. I already foresaw this, given his clear disdain for the Age of Fire.

"To understand just how much is left of the Age of Fire today. Knowing that dragons of this age descended from those of mine, it has me curious of just what else may have survived. Which may include things that should have perished with the end of it." I stated clearly and bluntly. The weight of my words rung with him, as his gaze softened slightly.

"If you ask me, it would be better if nothing from that age managed to survive into the modern day..." He finally said despondently. He didn't break eye contact, continuing to speak. "...Seek out the ruins of Canopus Keep. But be warned, many dangers lurk there."

With my answers finally acquired, I gave him a proper bow as a show of gratitude. "My thanks, Fafnir." Just as I was about to leave, he called out to me.

"You know, some things are better left buried in the past. I can't say for certain what you might find there, but all I can ask you is, is it truly worth the risk? Are the discoveries you seek to uncover really worth trifling with death over?"

I dipped my head down slightly, a dry chuckle escaping me. He perked a brow in suspicion, completely unaware of why I found it humorous. Death was no laughing matter to anyone, and being confronted with it would shatter the resolve of any man.

But I was no regular man.

"Let's just say I've felt death's touch more times than I can count. What is one more time?" I replied with an air of familiarity. "My resolve shall see me through it all." Once I started walking away, I held my right arm out to the side and clenched my fist tightly.

Fafnir wouldn't say anything, only staring at me curiously before finally turning back to his screens.

As for me, I now had to start planning for my next journey. To the Canopus Keep.

~~~

Once I returned to Luna Nova, I headed straight for Holbrooke's office and informed her of my new plans. To no surprise, she was completely dumbfounded.

"You're going to travel all the way to the Canopus Ruins? You haven't even been back for a day from your trek through Arcturus Forest!"

"I'm aware, Miranda. But it's imperative that I leave for the ruins as soon as possible." I pull out the green blossom from my person and show it to her. "These weeds are called green blossom, and they were commonplace back in the Age of Fire. I've even used them for myself during my travels. If a simple weed managed to survive through the ages into this modern age, then who knows what else could have survived."

My tone took a more serious path as Holbrooke looked at me with a worried expression. "And I fear it could be something dangerous. But I won't know for certain until I investigate it myself."

She only sighed heavily, troubled by my words and my choice. "At the very least, you should take a few days of respite. Take some time to prepare and so on."

I crossed my arms in response. But just from seeing the look on her face, I knew better than to try and argue against her advice. That authority of hers was on full force.

She then softly smiled. "And besides, Ursula has been worried about you. I've overheard her mention your name from time to time. I'm sure it would brighten her day if she saw you in person."

At that information, I finally uttered out a hearty chuckle. "I see...very well then. I'll take some time to recuperate."

"Very good! Now then, dear, please go rest for the night. In the meantime, I'll have some maps and directions ready for you before you take off." She said happily, her gentle smile still visible as I nodded.

"Understood. Thank you, Miranda."

Once we said our goodnights, I trekked back outside and to where my first bonfire was set up. After reigniting the fire, I sat there in contemplation. I found my answers at last, but in its wake, I now harbored even more questions.

Just how much of the Age of Fire managed to persist into this new age? Where else in the world could life from my time thrive in? Were the kingdoms of Anor Londo and Lothric buried far below the ground, into depths where no man has dared to venture into?

And did any other Unkindled or Undead share the same fate as I and wound up here?

All these questions boggled the mind, begging to be answered.

Those questions would have to wait. For now, I would heed Holbrooke's words and rest for a good while. And knowing now that Ursula has been worried about me greatly made me feel rather guilty for thinking of leaving so hastily. I'll certainly try and seek her out, ease her mind and catch up on lost time.

Furthermore, I still needed to show Akko the green blossom. I had to fulfill the promise I made to her, and the last thing I needed was to break it and upset her. In the short time I've known her, she has proven to be highly reckless, but also incredibly kind-hearted.

A sweet girl, really. One I pray never experiences despair.