Consequences

It was a silent trip to Ursula's chambers. Neither of us said a word. There really was no need to, however. Whatever needed to be said could wait until Ursula was in our company.

And if said conversation revolved around Croix, it was vital for Ursula to be present for it. Once we finally arrived, Diana knocked on the door and alerted the surprised blue-haired teacher who looked at us both upon opening the door.

"Ashen One? Diana? Uhm, good morning, you two. Is something wrong?" She asked, my only response being a nodding glance at Diana who spoke up.

"There was a massive spike of energy coming from the New Moon Tower, far stronger than that of the Philosopher's Stone. I suspect that it has something to do with Croix and those devices she's been installing around it." She explained, now fully gaining Ursula's undivided attention as she looked at the girl with a concerned look.

"I'm wondering if you knew anything about it." Diana's expression turned scrutinous.

"No, I didn't know anything about it." Ursula claimed, yet she looked uneasy. I thought back to what she had told me about Croix's contraptions during her days as Shiny Chariot. The Dream Fuel Spirit...could these devices be related to such?

"Was there anything else amiss about these devices, Diana?" I asked.

"Aside from the energy spike, nothing further. But given that Professor Ursula seems to have some history with Croix, I thought that she would have an idea of what their purpose could be." My eyes shifted over to Ursula who, despite her efforts to hide it, was growing more and more weary. No doubt she was worried that Diana would force her into revealing her true identity.

Before such could happen, however, something outside the window caught her attention briefly and stirred alarm within her eyes. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. I uhm, need to tend to some important matters!" Ursula said in a panicked tone, hurriedly leaving the room. Needless to say, I suspected that it was due to dire circumstances yet to come.

"Ashen One." Diana suddenly said, gaining my attention as she gestured to Ursula's broom. "You were with Ursula to get Akko back after she went to Wagandea...she lost her ability to fly, didn't she?"

"...Yes. A price she had to pay in order to save Akko." A subtle somber look dawned upon her face at my response. I look back at the door, sensing that Ursula would need my aid. "I apologize, but I must take my leave as well."

I heard a contemplative sigh escape her. "Be careful. And if you see Akko...make sure she comes back safely."

"Of course, Diana. I wouldn't dare to fail you." I replied back, quickly sprinting back to my home and grabbing what I needed. I finally managed to catch up with Ursula, calling out to her.

"You did not think I would just let you go after Croix on your own, did you?" She opened her mouth as if to say something, only to sigh with a weak smile.

"Nothing ever seems to get past you, huh?" She asked, still running as we now ran alongside each other.

"I've grown adept to picking up clues." I replied with a dry chuckle, before my tone turned serious. "Now then, let us focus on catching up with her. Together."

~~~

Night had befallen the skies as we arrived to where Ursula last saw Croix. It was the town known as Glastonbury, packed to the brim with people. There was initial worry that we would stand out among the populace, but that faded once I saw how embroiled the people were with none other than each other.

Crowds of citizens marched through the streets, chanting furiously while armed with makeshift weapons and banners. Furthermore, they were getting into heated shouting arguments with other groups. Just from their eyes alone, I could see the hatred and the burning desire they harbored to lash at the opposition.