Night of the Hunt

Before long, it was already the night of the Wild Hunt.

The days leading up to it were surprisingly uneventful, aside from the spell training I did with Ursula. Seemed that everyone was just eager and waited in anticipation for the Wild Hunt.

I did stumble across Akko one day, with her bumping into me while she was carrying various items. When I inquired her what it was all for, she simply told me that it was a secret and that I would have to wait until the night of the Hunt.

And of course, she also made me promise not to tell anyone about it. Not that I would have, of course. I wouldn't dare to spoil something she was clearly excited to reveal.

Anyways, grouping up with Ursula and some members from the Red and Green teams, we would make the short trek to the outskirts of Blytonbury. However, once we did arrive, Ursula was the first to take notice of something odd.

"Wait, why are there so many ordinary people around here?" She asked in surprise, taking a look around at the crowds of people who weren't staff or students of Luna Nova setting up in the fields. They seemed to just be regular townsfolk.

"You said that those magically disconnected can't see the Wild Hunt." I replied, looking at Ursula.

"They can't, but apparently news about it went viral on the Internet." Lotte explained, which left Ursula with a pondering gaze, and I confused. For I had no idea what this 'Internet' was. Perhaps it was some way for people to communicate.

As for myself, now I was getting eyes on me for my appearance. "Woah, that guy's got a cool cosplay going on!" I heard one shout, which had me tilting my head in confusion.

"What in blazes is a cosplay?" I asked, looking at the others.

"It means they think you're dressed up as a character for the event." Sucy explained in her usual emotionless voice. In other words, the people simply thought I was just an ordinary person dressed as a knight.

Nothing to worry about then. Good.

What wasn't good, however, was how word of the Hunt became 'viral' as Lotte put it. I leaned over to Ursula and whispered. "Do you suspect that this is Croix's doing?"

Before she could reply, a large portal in the sky opened up as several of the Wild Hunters passed through it. Back on the ground, the ghastly spirits made their appearance, signaling the true start of the hunt.

As expected, none of the regular people could watch it play out, but murmurs among them indicated that they could feel a change in the air. Other than that, the Wild Hunt went on as normal.

But then I caught something in the distance, squinting in an attempt to make out what it was. Flying towards the field was none other than a floating ship, which began to bombard the various ghosts with its cannons.

It made for quite a spectacle, garnering amazement from the crowds as well as the rest of us. That's when I saw Akko waving at us from the ship. So, this must have been the surprise she wanted me to keep secret about.

"Heh, so that's what Constanze has been cooking up in her lab." I heard Amanda say, while we continued to watch the ship capture ghosts that fast approached them. Ursula along with the other girls were in awe of the display, just as I was. Made me curious of what else this Constanze was capable of crafting.

"It's an impressive display, I'll say!" An unknown voice suddenly said, prompting us to look down and see that a blueish goblin had joined us. He looked to be one of the chefs, judging by his attire.

"Huh? What are you doing here?" Lotte asked in a surprised tone.

"I handed one of my kitchen equipment to those girls so they could finish building that ship! Ain't no way was I about to miss out on seeing it in action!" The goblin replied, focusing solely on the now lively hunt.