Death sentence (2x01) part 2

Breaking Jace. That was exactly what Valentine was trying to do.

Jace's hands were tied up and his feet were barely touching the ground while one of Valentine's subjects hit him repeatedly without showing any mercy. It wouldn't be inappropriate to say that he seemed to be enjoying it.

Jace's blood was dripping out of his mouth and he was growing weaker second by second, but even in this situation, he never showed how hurt he was. As he looked up at his assaillant, he growled at him which caused him to be splashed with cold water. His shirtless stance made dozen of red spots appear on his frame due to the punches he received.

"Enough !" Valentine shouted as he finally showed up. He walked slowly to stand in front of Jace while his subordinates stepped back. As Valentine got closer to him, he examined Jace's state and scoffed. "Well, well, well... you're still standing. Wouldn't say the same about that b*tch of yours."

Jace glared at him, and gritted his teeth. He hasn't been able to see Leila ever since they were brought on Valentine's boat, nor did he know what he was doing to her.

It was Valentine's plan. Provoke Jace, to see how far he would for Leila. In a way, she was a leverage. The only way for Jace to obey Valentine.

"I've killed you twice today." Jace spat at him, as he referred to his illusions. "You touch her again and we'll go for another round."

Valentine laughed at him. Jace wasn't in a place where he could defeat Valentine, at least not in his state.

"You're a born fighter. I like it." Valentine answered. He grabbed his stele and activated Jace's healing rune. "Get dressed. We have a lot to talk about." he said before he walked out, leaving a confused Jace behind.

~~

Clary arrived in Aldertree's office which used to be the Lightwood's.

"You wanted to see me ?" she asked him as she closed the door behind her.

"Yes, Clary. Take a seat."

Clary sat uncomfortably in the office, while Alterdree took a seat in front of her. Not only was she unpleased with his decision to put the Institute on lockdown because now none of them were allowed to look for Jace and Leila from outside, but Aldertree also put a camera in front of her to record whatever she would say.

Aldertree noticed how uncomfortable she was and spoke. "Sorry for the camera. Like I told your friends when they came in, this is official business so I have to be official. Now, let's talk about Jace and Leila."

"Okay." Clary agreed, without flinching.

"You had the impression Jace was saving your lives by leaving with Valentine ?"

Clary frowned at how Alaric phrased his sentence. "It's more than an impression. It's what actually happened. If he had tried anything, the rest of us would've been killed."

"Was he within striking distance of Valentine ? Could he have taken the man out ?" Aldertree asked.

"It was an impossible situation. Valentine had captured Leila with a knife dipped with wolfsbane. Had Jace tried anything, Leila probably would've been dead by now." Clary told him. "Jace tried to warn us. He told us that Valentine was on the way."