Jealousy ( 1x03 ) part 1

We all headed back to the Institute.

Well, except for Simon.

I could see anger on Clary's face, irritation on Alec's and Jace's and guilt on Isabelle's expressions. As for my case, I was disappointed. Not only did we find out that Clary was the most wanted Shadowhunter's daughter, but now Simon was gone because some freaking vampires kidnapped him in exchange for the Cup that we didn't have. In other words, we had another problem to deal with.

Since Clary came, it was like we were trapped in a circle of problems and it didn't seem that we would get out of it anytime soon. Just the fact that she was Valentine's daughter was a problem to us but also to her. Her reputation in the Shadow world wouldn't be the best one.

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes ?" Clary asked as we walked in the Institute.

"Because we protect humans." Izzy answered which made Clary stop in her tracks and sigh.

"You're right." she said as she turned around to stare at her. "Humans. You protect humans. You let Simon all alone in the van."

"Clary I'm sorry."

"You did a great job. You guys rock." Clary told her ironically.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Okay, now I've had enough. Can you just shut up and let us think ?" I asked her as I clenched my hands into fists.

"Well, you guys clearly didn't think when you decided to let my best friend, alone in a van." Clary answered, not calming down either.

"And I could say the same about Jace who didn't think before he brought you in this Institute."

"Leila." I heard Izzy say behind me.

"No !" As I turned my head towards her and raised my hand to stop her from approaching me. "She complained all the way here. Can you not see how close I am to explode because of her ?" I asked her before I looked back at Clary who seemed as angry as I was. "All our problems started when you came in."

Clary narrowed her eyes and stepped forward. "And we wouldn't have another one if you guys could've protected Simon." she snapped back.

I was with her and Jace when Simon was taken, so I couldn't have been there for him but she didn't have to remind Izzy and Alec that Simon got taken under their watch. Izzy already felt guilty about it. Who was she to twist the knife in the wound ?

"We wouldn't have had to protect him if you didn't get him involved. So, who's fault is it now ?" I said as I stepped forward too until I was a few inches from her.

"Leila." Jace called me, but this time he grabbed my arm and tried to make me stand down but I stood still.

I clenched my jaw as I glared at her. She returned the look, and didn't flinch for a while until it eventually got too long. Jace applied pressure on my arm, not enough to be painful, but I stepped back and faced the Lightwood siblings and Jace. They all seemed confused as they stared at me. Jace, maybe the most.

"What ? I'm just saying what we're all thinking." I told them and removed Jace's hand on my arm.

"Calm down. Both of you." Jace said as he looked at Clary and I. "Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it." he told Clary.