A not so happy birthday

If you ever see her walking down the street, you would assume all sorts of things about her. She's confident or insecure. She's nice, maybe has anger issues or perhaps shy. Anything but the complete truth.

The truth is, you would never see her walking on the street as a normal person. You would never see her eat an ice-cream with her friends or walk her dog in the afternoon. Actually, you simply wouldn't see her at all, except if you went to the psychiatric hospital of Brooklyn.

Her name was Leila King, and her nightmare started on the day of her eighth birthday. Her mom, Emily King was killed on the night of Leila's 8th birthday while she was sleeping. It was only in the morning that she found her mother lying in a pool of blood.

At that age, Leila didn't know what to do on her own. Why would someone kill her mother and leave an eight year old child as an orphan ? The police officers had tried to figure that out, but the little girl didn't know anything, and even if she did, she wouldn't have cooperated. She didn't talk after her mother's death. For months, no words came out of her.

Leila had been put in a orphanage where a family came a year later, to adopt her. Even then, she didn't want to talk to them. She missed her mother, the woman who gave her life and raised her. The one who was a mother and a father at the same time. According to Emily King, Leila's father disappeared after an accident and never came back.

Even though Leila didn't complain about only having a woman figure in her life, a void had filled her chest as she felt the need to have a father by her side and protect her from the world and herself.

After her birthday, Leila started seeing things she couldn't put a name on. They weren't human and no matter how long she searched through the Internet, she found out that they were not animals either.

At first Leila only saw them at night. Her adoptive parents thought she was only having nightmares due to her mother's death. But Leila knew it was more than that, especially since there were times when she wasn't asleep. And, how could someone explain having nightmares while being awake ?

Leila couldn't find an answer, and her adoptive parents either.

She has been brought to different doctors, who all said that her mind was reacting to her trauma by creating horrible things. Leila had tried to convince them that she wasn't hallucinating, that everything she saw was true. She didn't understand why other people couldn't see what she saw. And the other people simply didn't believe her.

That was how she ended up being locked up in a psychiatric hospital at a young age. Her adoptive parents had decided to let her go to see if she would get better, but as the years passed, they realized that it was only getting worse. As she became older, hearing people say that she was a victim of hallucinations over and over again, made her believe that she wasn't normal. She deeply believed that she was losing her mind and that there was no way for her to live a normal life again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eight years.

That was how long I've been in hell. There wasn't another name to call this place. The people outside called it a psychiatric hospital, but once you were trapped inside, the only name you could call it was hell. It was a nice name though, considering how horrible this place was.

When I first came here, I didn't understand why I had to stay. The doctors said I had hallucinations but I knew what they were all thinking about me and the other patients.

We were crazy.

At first, I was convinced I wasn't. I doubted my mind could create such creatures. They looked so real, and they were all different. Some had wings, some others didn't. I also saw one with tentacles in its mouth, and another one that was all black and sticky.