Demon blood (2x01) part 3

Grunts.

Those were what I heard every second of each day that passed by. I didn't even know if those who were imprisoned like me were Downworlders that Valentine tried to inject angel blood to, Downworlders that he used as his blood bank, or on the contrary Shadowhunters that he injected demon blood to.

Here, I felt like we were all equals. All reduced to be Valentine's things, because none of us were considered as humans. We were all experiments.

Two of Valentine's subjects came back to me to torture me. They were testing my limits. Seeing how long it took for my senses to kick in.

I was standing by force with my hands tied up and my feet chained to the ground as well. They punched me and threw frozen water at me. With time, my healing rune turned uneffective, just like my heightened speed and my strength ones. It slowly but surely started to worry me.

Luke once told me that I had to keep a balance. That one day, those runes wouldn't be of any use. I couldn't be too fast, or too strong, but seeing it happen here, as they pushed me to my limits was scarier.

No matter how much I told myself not to react to this torture, to not try to fight back, I couldn't help it which made me get tortured even more. I've come to a point where my eyes turned green everytime I tried to fight back but the chains around my wrists and ankles prevented me from doing so. They used to turn only for a few seconds before, but since I've been exposed to this kind of violence almost every day, they stayed that way until my heartbeat decreased.

These were the only characteristics that changed in me...for now.

Suddenly, the guy who was beating me while the other was watching, stopped and stepped back.

That was it ? We just started though.

I sounded as if I wasn't satisfied with what I was put through today. But the truth was, I've been through the same torture for God knew how long. This couldn't be the end. At least not yet, they had something else in mind. Or something was happening.

Suddenly, I heard Valentine's voice thanks to my hearing that got better with time. He was talking to someone, while he was getting closer to where we were.

"...give in to their violent tendencies. Even a single drop of demon blood running in your veins makes you a threat to humanity. No matter how good they're trying to be, Downworlders cannot control their demonic blood forever." I heard him say.

On these last words, Valentine appeared and looked at me with a smile that I didn't return. I gritted my teeth and tried to break my chains, hoping that the day I would have enough strength to break them would be today. But I suddenly found myself stopping my attempts when I saw who Valentine was talking to.

Jace.

The moment our eyes met, my body froze. My heart, on the contrary, couldn't stop beating as if it there was no tomorrow. I tried to bring my eyes back to normal, but my heart couldn't calm down. How long has it been since we've seen each other ? It felt like eternity. The anger I felt before vanished as soon as I saw him, and worry and shame took place.

He was standing right in front me, seeing me half alive half dead. I haven't seen myself in a mirror in a while but I knew at least one thing. There was no way that I looked healthy.

I didn't know if he's been through what I've been through, but at least he wasn't chained. He seemed...okay. I was relieved to finally see him, but also confused. Why was he with Valentine ? What was happening between them ? What bullshit did Valentine tell him ?

Jace stared at me, and my surroundings with horror. The grunts that were audible before, became louder once Valentine came here.

"Jace..." I hardly spoke up. My lip hurt and I was out of breath. " I'm oka..."