Sacrifice ( 1x11 ) part 2

When Leila walked out of the back of the restaurant, it left Jace alone with Clary. Jace's eyes stayed on Leila until she was out of sight, and Clary just stood there, dying to know what was happening. She knew that something was wrong especially since they came back from the alternate universe.

Jace finally turned around and faced Clary. They were both standing uncomfortably in front of each other. Jace knew it was time to tell her what he truly felt. They probably wouldn't have as much time later, as they had now. He couldn't be too close to Clary when he's already made a choice.

"Do you remember the other dimension ?" Clary suddenly asked Jace, before he had the chance to start. Jace frowned and shook his head. "We said things...felt things. And now that we're out, it's clearer to me that it was only in that dimension."

Clary had noticed the differences between the Jace that was in front of her, and the one from the other world. They were not the same, and it was because of one thing. One person.

"It's my fault, really. I should've accepted the signs instead of ignoring them. You and Leila are like so....connected. But I thought you cared about me."

"I do care about you, Clary." Jace assured her.

"Not as much as you care about her. I see it." Clary told him. "We should've had a conversation after we kissed. At least, things would've been set and I would've known my position in this situation."

"It's not your fault." Jace said as he stepped forward. He could see the look on her face and he couldn't let her feel that way. He couldn't let her beat herself up. "It's mine. If I led you on, I'm sorry. I should've told you sooner that I didn't see you as you saw me."

Clary sighed. It almost hurt like a break up would but she also felt relieved. Before that conversation, she felt like she was fumbling in the dark, like she didn't know where she was going with Jace. After their kiss, nothing intimate ever happened between them. But somehow, as he kept helping her, as he kept sacrificing his life and his relationship with his parabatai for her, she got her hopes up. Even though Jace told her it wasn't her fault, she was convinced that she was the only one to blame.

"It's okay. It's not like we were dating anyway." Clary said as she shrugged her shoulders.

As he stared at how Clary was handling the situation, Jace felt bad. She was trying not to look hurt, but he could see that she wasn't as okay as she said she was. This could've been prevented if only he knew the nature of his feelings for Leila. He had tried not to fall for her, but he couldn't have helped it. Everything she did, everything she said was enough for him to fall for her.

He cared about both girls, he couldn't deny that. But like Clary said, he cared more about Leila than he cared about her.

~~

While Jace was having a conversation with Clary, I was welcomed by Jace's father's smile as I walked in the principal room of the restaurant.

"How is he doing ?" he asked me about Jace.

"He's getting better by the second."

"I assume you're a part of that." he added which made me frown, quite surprised. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and Jace seem to be very close. But so is he and Clary. I'm kind of lost here. Mind to explain the situation to me ?"

I was reluctant. Even though he was Jace's father, I still didn't know him. I didn't even know how he managed to stay alive. I had so many questions about him, and it didn't feel okay for me to give information about my love life to a stranger.