A near death experience ( 1x04 ) part 2

As soon as we had found Magnus, Valentine had also found us. Clary and Jace only had a little time to talk to Magnus Bane until a Circle member tried to attack them. Thankfully, Alec had stopped what it seemed to be the only Circle member at the rave. It didn't take much for Magnus to flee. He was no longer safe and nor was Clary.

The five of us, walked out of the Downworlder rave by the back of the building. We had found Magnus but Clary's memories were still lost. Once again, our mission was a failure.

"You know, this is great. Not only did Magnus not get the girl her memories back, he took the necklace. This is fantastic." Alec scolded.

"Alec ! The girl. Her name is Clary." Jace said through his gritted teeth.

"At this point, we don't care." I sighed. "Not only did we plan a mission without reporting this to the Clave, but we've failed this one too. Again."

I was getting tired of this situation where we would risk our lives for the daughter of the most wanted man of the Shadow world. The worst of it, was that we won nothing in the end. It felt like, there was actually no end to this.

"I highly suggest you guys to keep your voices down." Jace continued on the same tone.

He was as tired as we were. Who wouldn't be ? We had no lead on how to stop Valentine or where to find the Mortal Cup.

"Why ? What, are you afraid I'm gonna upset her ? We're no closer to getting the Mortal Cup, all right ? And we've lost the Institute's necklace." Alec snapped.

"Hey, I'm right here !" Clary intervened which made Alec close his eyes and breathe out through his nose before he snapped his eyes open to look at her. "I don't care about your damn jewelry. I'm sorry you're gonna look bad in front of your bosses, okay ? But my mother is still missing and my last chance at finding her just disappeared into thin air."

"Clary, it's gonna be fine..." Jace tried to reassure her.

"No it's not ! People are dying because of me. And Magnus ? Magnus will never come out of hiding again while Valentine is still out there. We're never gonna find him. And I will never get my memories back."

Clary tried to throw something she had in her hand, on the ground but Jace caught it in time. As he opened his hand to see what she had been holding, we saw one of Magnus' button.

"You give up way too easy." Jace said.

Jace walked away from us to track Magnus in silence. I heard Izzy explain to a confused Clary, what Jace was doing with the button that belonged to Magnus. My eyes stayed on Jace whose frown increased as seconds passed. Finally, Jace shook his head and looked at us.

"The signal's not strong enough. Magnus must be blocking the track. Let's do this, Alec." he said.

Alec walked up to him and they put their hands over each other's so they could track Magnus with the power of their bond. Their jaw clenched as their eyes stayed locked on the other's.

"Do what ?" Clary asked.

"Parabatai tracking. When parabatais track, their power grow stronger." Izzy answered.

"This whole parabatai thing seems oddly intimate, if you ask me."

"You don't know the half of it." I commented.

Jace broke the eye contact before he started walking away. They must have found Magnus. So, we didn't lose time and followed him.

Jace brought us to a warehouse, and we walked in carefully with our weapons out.