New life

"How could that be possible ?" Izzy asked, as shocked as I was.

There was one thing I was sure about. I was a Shadowhunter. She wouldn't have given me that sort of pen they used to draw runes if I wasn't. But the werewolf part ? That was crazy. If I was one, shouldn't I be able to turn into werewolf ? Or maybe, I didn't trigger my werewolf genes. Did I want to ? I wasn't so sure, because according to this letter, someone inflicted it to me.

"If you're reading this, it means that I'm not there to tell you this in person and I'm sorry. I'm also sorry Leila, because I lied to you.

As you grew up, you might've noticed that you were different. You always had something that other kids didn't. That's because you're not entirely human Leila, and neither am I. I was born a Shadowhunter and so did your father and now, you. But even in the Shadow world, you are different.

When I got pregnant, your father and I were a part of an organization that we decided to flee together. But things didn't work as planned. While being pregnant, I was attacked. I later found out that what they did was inject werewolf venom, making you who you are today. I am sorry Leila, because I couldn't protect you at that time, and I still can't today. It was an act of vengeance against me, and you were the one to pay the consequences.

I never told you that because you were too young and I wanted to keep you away from the Shadow world where there would be high chances you would be rejected. I wanted you to live a normal life, where there is no evil and no creatures that would try to harm you.

If you're able to read this, it means that everything's going to change for you.

You must protect yourself from any kind of evil, as I tried to protect you for as long as I was still alive. Remember, before you dare to trust someone else, you must first trust yourself.

I don't know what the future has in store for you, but I believe you will overcome all sorts of obstacles in your path. I believe you will become a strong and wise young woman who will make the choices she believes is right. Believe in yourself because from where I am now, I believe in you. Take care of yourself, sweetheart. Don't let my death, be in vain. You are and always will be my little angel.

I love you, Leila King. Always and forever."

My Little Angel.

This nickname she had given me back then, made sense now.

For long minutes, I kept staring at the letter, reading her words again and again.

There were so many things I didn't know about myself, and now, I felt like I was a different person. Today, I was stranger to the girl I was yesterday.

"Leila ?" I heard Izzy call my name.

The Shadow world. Shadowhunters. Downworlders. All legends being true. Demons walking among humans in the whole world plus the things I was sure Jace, Izzy and Alec left out.... This was too much for me.

"Leila." Izzy said again, but this time I felt her hands touching my shaking ones. I looked up at her, and when I noticed that my vision was blurry, I realized that I started crying. "You're gonna be okay." she reassured me.

Maybe I was going to be okay in the future, but right now, I didn't feel okay.

~~

A lot of things have changed in my life since I came at the Institute three weeks ago. First, I looked more...alive if I may say. I had regained colors, not only because Izzy insisted on doing my make up, but also because I felt better here. I ate more, and had more time to take care of myself. If there was one thing I missed, it was the piano. I became so attached to music that it became of part of me. I used to play everyday, so when I realized that I wouldn't be able to touch a keyboard in a long time, it kind of pained me.