2 | A lovely evening

Adira Bowen

As I reach him he's leaning against the door to the inside. His expression worries me, it's more fixed than earlier and even slightly grim.

"Shoot, is Jace mad that I left with my mother?" He shakes his head in reassurance quickly.

But it only leaves me wondering more about what's wrong. I'd never seen Rhys nervous until this moment. He can't even stand still as his feet move in place. He's fiddling with his fingers meaning he has something he's hiding.

The adoring glint in his eye is gone and I'm only left with a dark bleak expression. His lips part for a moment and then he closes them. He doesn't even have words. Something that was far unlike him, Rhys always had something to say, whether it be wise or ridiculous.

"Rhys, what's wrong?" I felt the raindrops from the incoming storm splash against my skin as it hits the pavement.

"I know something that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I kept it from you" There it was again, that solemn expression, as if I'm a damsel in distress. I was far from it, I was just nervous. Maybe I looked even worse earlier.

"Shit is this about how I was earlier during dinner. Trust me it's just nerves I'm not running Rhys." He sucks in his lips as I speak.

"You might want to after I tell you this" I felt my heart sink into my stomach as he spoke. It was in a tone that was unfamiliar to me. It scared me.

"Is everyone okay? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, I just don't want to see that light go out in your eyes Adira" His words almost spook me, because whatever it was. It evidently bothered Rhys, he wasn't one to be spooked. Nothing bothered him, he'd get irritated but never solemn.

"Rhys, what's been going on?"

"Kate has been sleeping with Jace" His words repeat in a swirl within my mind. I feel the knot in my stomach from earlier tightening.

"What?"

The words almost seem unfathomable and most certainly unbelievable. The two of them hated each other, they could barely be in the same room. I felt guilty even saying yes to Jace, but I had to put my own happiness above Kate's.

Growing up Kate was the one who was obsessed over boys. I never cared or made any effort until college.

"How do you know?" He looked to the ground with a guilt-stricken look across his face.

"I walked in on them earlier, she was begging him not to marry you" My heart squeezes itself as I feel my eyes blubber. I don't let the tears fall in front of him, I shouldn't even believe him.

"This sounds insane."

"I know, I'm sorry but. I might be reading into it, but I thought you should know" He stood staring at me like I was some lost puppy. I hated it because the happy banter was gone.

It was serious.

"I- I need to find Jace" I excuse myself from him pushing through the entrance door.

"Adira please" I hear him behind me as I walk quickly. I reach the now empty restaurant confused, only his parents are left paying a check.

"Oh, it was a lovely evening dear!" I turned to face his mother who smiled at me gingerly "Everyone missed you on the way out, thought you'd left!" She squeezes me into her arms.

"You should get some rest before the big day tomorrow," His dad says as I look up to him and nod. A lost expression could be found on my face as I rethink every moment between the two of them ever.