11 | Missed me?

ᴍᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ
Adira Bowen

"You were right." I stare at the steamed bagel in front of me. This is what I needed to start my morning at six, but it was a Friday.

"I know." Sipping her coffee Cat nodded her head at me knowingly.

"You don't even know what I mean by that?" She glanced at the bagel and then my drooled mouth. Okay maybe she did know, but I never thought a steamed bagel would be so good. At first, it sounded kind of gross to me, but here I was in love.

She bites into her bagel in approval, "We'll be back here tomorrow morning I guarantee" She lifts her napkin wiping the cream cheese from her lips. Cat was my bagel buddy, it's how we got to know each other better. We agreed on a food we mutually enjoyed and each Friday we sought out a new bagel.

Let's just say, bagels in Boston are shit.

"I'd rank this a 7.8?" I nod in agreement with Cat's score, it was pretty fair.

"I'd give it a 9, I'm quite in love" I lift the bagel to my lips again and smile in delight. My watch buzzes and I see my alert to head out, "Duty calls" She frowns but begins to pack her things.

"You go be an astronaut, and I'll go be boring and manage someone's assets?"

"Deal, except I'm not an astronaut!" She raised a brow at me unconvinced. She wanted to come visit me at work, she thinks I'm hiding being an astronaut from her. But I think I'd hyperventilate in a spacecraft, but I don't mind designing them.

"Sure, but when I see you head to Mars it'll be another story?" She rolls her eyes, "I know you know that aliens are real!" I felt stares on us as she spoke.

"You sound crazy" Though the government confirmed them, I'm not in the Pentagon?

She lifts her briefcase with a frown and drags herself from her seat, "You were smart to never go into investments" I couldn't pity the woman, she was damn good at her job. She worked for Goldman Sachs and made a fortune. Yet lived in a stinky little apartment with me and Serena.

"Before you go, I won't be home for dinner. I have that divorce party and then the after party" Cat nods and then frowns as she realizes I'm leaving her with just Serena.

"I love you and I'm sorry!"

"Excuses, excuses, why do I have to babysit? Can't we swap places, I go to the divorce party and you stay?"

"I think it would be weird of you to go to my boss's divorce party. Unless you suddenly work at NASA and have raven hair?" She tucks the rest of her bagel away sighing and then exiting the shop.

Cat was a character that was for sure.

———————————————

I wasn't one for parties, and dressing up for something was rare for me. The last time I got dressed up was in Monaco. But being in a tight black dress again thrilled me.

This was my chance to meet someone, maybe a divorcé. But most of the time I'm pretty sure they are depressed and I wonder how Jane feels. I mean she was married for 29 years.

To a cheater.

Tonight she celebrates her freedom and an auction of her jewelry. Every piece he ever gifted her, was on a humiliating display for him. It's better than killing the man in my opinion.