10 | I hate squirrels

Adira Bowen

3 months later

That same tapping noise disrupts my sleep again and as I sit up I see the time is five minutes before my alarm. Annoyed I pull the covers off my bed and look out my window.

Then I see it, I see him, the culprit. The same squirrel banging his head against the window of my bedroom, "Shouldn't you be in a park or something! There's nothing here for you!" I knock back on the window.

This startles Mr.Squirrel and he quickly jolts and runs off. This was his eighth visit since I moved two months ago.

"Adira are you talking to the squirrels again?"

"No..." Serena opens the door and pokes her head in to see me by the window, "Okay but he woke me up before my alarm!" She shakes her head.

"I should've known getting a roommate off of Craigslist would unlock the crazy" She sighed and looked at the floor, I met her in college. We bonded over our terrible Orientation Leaders, two introverts who decided to be OLs to be extroverted. Instead, they isolated themselves from their group, ruining a group of freshman's first week of college.

"We met in college Serena?"

"Same thing!" She groans going to look out the window, "We live near Father Fagan Park, maybe he came from there?"

"We don't live that close and do squirrels even live in that park?" She lays back on the bed, dressed and ready to take on the day. She had a spin class to teach at 7 am.

"I think I should quit?"

"Then how will you pay the other half of your rent besides your job" She was a marketing agent for a big company here in Soho, but a problem. She was a massive spender, she had quite a love for shopping.

"Fuck, you're right. We should just run away and elope, then we can get spousal benefits!"

"That's fraud Serena?"

"But you don't love me!" She pangs a hand against her chest gasping, "I thought you loved me Adira!" She shouts loud enough to wake Catherine, I don't think I have the energy to break up a fight right now.

"Shush, I think Cat will kill you if you wake her right now?" Serena rolls her eyes annoyed.

"No fair, she doesn't have to be in the office til 9? What bullshit is that!"

"Search for a new job, one that pays more? Or one that's at a later time? Serena you're young as fuck, don't waste your time on something that isn't right or you hate?" She gives me a quizzical look knowing where I'm coming from.

"Damn you need to get laid" I turn to Cat who stares at me shaking her head, "Girl whoever is in your head, they need to get the fuck out? Okay?" Her face shifts as she looks at Serena.

"Fuck you" She slams the door behind her.

"Good morning to you too Catherine!!" Serena yells back and then stands up groaning, "I hate my life" She exits my room leaving me alone again until the sound of my alarm beeps.

I hate squirrels.

—————————————