13 | On a need to know basis

Adira Bowen

It was almost weird how well things worked between us with no definition. But I supposed he wasn't seeing anyone else and I definitely wasn't.

But he had this habit of sleeping over. Somehow at the end of his work days, he made it to my apartment and beside me in bed. Either in scandalous ways or loving pulling me against his chest. It was comforting.

Thanksgiving was one of those holidays that tended to sneak up on you. One that I'd unfortunately have to head back to Boston for.

Facing my family and Kates would be something I dreaded. But I was successful in New York and I was falling for Rhys. I thought I'd feel brutally guilty, it's my ex's best friend. But last I heard they hadn't spoken since my rehearsal dinner.

I knew Kate would be coming for Thanksgiving. My mother warned me, I wasn't sure if she'd show her face. Her family knew, everyone knew. But it was over and I was free. Maybe I should thank her for giving me a love like no other.

Kate saved me, that's what I a true friend is I guess? But I think Cat and Serena would beat the bitch if they saw her.

"Okay I grabbed your coziest sweaters just in case! I heard it gets extra frigid in Boston and being from Illinois, I'm guessing it's a similar experience" Serena zips my luggage for me as I lay back in bed.

"I don't wanna" I cross my arms and pout like a child. I know my mom would throw the worlds biggest fit if I were to skip out on Thanksgiving. But I wanted to stay here, I was given days off of work. I wanted to spend them in a place I actually enjoyed.

Sinking into the bed beside me Serena pulls my head onto her lap, "Look you won't even see those demons, just spend time with your parents and Noah. They love you and wouldn't set you up for failure" Her fingers wove between my hair as she massaged my scalp.

I enjoyed visiting my family at home in college. But this as an adult was different. It had been four months since I'd been home and it was weird. I hadn't told my mother about Rhys. It felt like some big secret I was keeping. But there was nothing to fully tell, and my family shouldn't hear about my sex life.

"Come on, you need to stand tall on your two feet and make your way to an airport" I groan at her words burrowing further into my pillow.

"My mothers picking me up at the airport!" I mutter staring at the ceiling. Mothers and their questions were never ending, they always knew best. That was the worst part, my mom knew when I was keeping something. But she never could've guess me running out on my wedding.

I caused a huge scandal back at home. But I didn't care, I was free and happy. I wasn't trapped by some egoistic man who belittled me to feel better about his sad life. He never let me shine, he liked to deteriorate me.

I was happy to do what I love with no judgment or discouragement, just love and respect. I'd been doing well at NASA, which is a sentence I never thought I'd say. But my parents are proud of me, especially my father.

"Come on let's go" I'm lifted from the bed by will force. Serena drags me down to the car as I grip onto her. My bags thrown into the taxi as I shake my head, "No, no, no please... I don't want to go home?" I pout as she shakes her head.

"Well shouldn't you say goodbye to me first Princess?" I turn from the sound of his voice to see him leaning against the taxi. He glanced at the duffel and back to me, "This looks like a fun trip?"