23| A code of silence

Rhys Hawking

Most of the time I could barely keep my eyes off of her. But today they were glued, it didn't help that Lucy's bridesmaids dresses held her figure so well. But I didn't know how I'd make it to the reception with her looking like that.

She looks so sexy and confident in the dusted blue dress. Her eyes catch my stare and she just laughs, "See something you like?"

"Something I love" She pulls me in for a kiss and then stares out the window. Lucy's wedding was in Vermont at a ski resort. It was beautiful here and I could tell Adira loved it.

She officially moved in two days ago, Cat has a bone to pick with me now. But she's happy for us, Serena just wants an invite over when she can. I was just happy to officially make it our home, it didn't feel the same when she'd leave the apartment. But now it felt right.

I knew she was stressed about seeing certain people today. She didn't want Kate's words or judgement, I'd put a sock in that girl if I could.

My fathers badgering calls were a constant lately. I wasn't about to ruin Adira's life, I didn't want her to have to change her life for me. I'd never her force her to do it, but knowing her she'd do it for me anyways.

He wants me to head to Calabria soon. But once I bring her into this life, I could never get her out. She'd never be safe and under constant threat. She still is with those pictures of us on Thanksgiving leaking to the public.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She pressed her hands against my suit with a smile.

"Just business" I take her hand in mine and pull her tight against me, "Don't you have an aisle to get down Princess?"

"Yeah ours, but I'm just waiting for a ring" I can't help but laugh, she was really subtle. But I couldn't wait to marry her, spend my life with her. I wanted it to be different, I wanted my family to be different. But we don't get what we wish for.

Nobody ever truly gets a happily ever after most of the time as my father said. We are fooling ourselves if we truly believes it exist. But I do, I believe that it exists. Because I already got my happy ending, I got Adira for myself.

It was interesting though, how much she wanted it. When she was first getting married, she never mentioned it at all. She didn't seem the want or need to rather, Jace wanted it. She just did it because if felt like what she had to do, to settle.

So when she's slowly been mentioning it, it takes me by surprise. I always thought I'd end up dragging her down the isle, not her racing down it.

"You're subtle aren't you?" She just smirks at me and bit her bottom lip, a thing she knows drives me crazy.

"I should find the bride? Don't cause any shenanigans okay? Go sit with my brother in silence please" She pulls me in for a kiss and then leaves the hotel room.

——————————————

I sat with Noah in the back as the ceremony went on. It was beautiful, even had Noah crying but he swore he'd kill me if I told a soul.

But nobody looked as stunning as Adira, I usually don't approve of upstaging a bride. But today Adira absolutely did, and I wasn't the only one to notice.