18 | My favorite attention wh*re

Rhys Hawking

Christmas was a time for joy and cheer in my house. Well for my mother and Lydia at least. It was one of those holidays where we were able to relax.

Dad always dipped after breakfast and Mom stressed out doing final preparations for tonight's ball. Christmas Eve, she held as sacred family time, the next day was for friends as well.

This would be Adira's first Christmas away from her family. She still was isolating herself after Thanksgiving, besides her brother. They had a big Christmas party with close friends and that included Jace's parents.

I felt bad, I didn't want her to avoid them because of me. But she claimed she didn't have the energy, work had been tiring and she wanted to see my family. But I knew she didn't want to hear any opinions on her relationship with me.

I never wanted to make things harder or strain that relationship with her parents. But I knew after the wedding it would never be the same, Thanksgiving closed Adira off more. It wasn't even their fault, they just wanted answers but we had none to fully give.

Adira's been officially my girlfriend for almost a month. I never wanted to let her go, I didn't want to press the gas on us either. I didn't want to rush things, she was still healing. Years with a bastard who treated her like seconds.

She was the most beautiful woman I've ever met, not just on the outside, but truly on the in. She cared about any and everything, she was truly a selfless human being. But it was a problem, she was constantly putting others before herself. But this new chapter of her life, the one with me.

She's placed boundaries, saying no, and holding ground. I was proud of her and she knew it. She was making her own decisions for herself and not allowing anyone else to define her life plans for her. So she was adamant on Christmas with my family, they knew her.

But my mother would be expecting an engagement and I would be expecting my father's approval. It wasn't going to be won, he didn't like anyone, especially if he didn't have to.

But Adira, well she'd just be expecting Christmas. It was one of those holidays that would make her eyes light up at the mention of it. She was obsessed with the holiday, and with her father being catholic she got to celebrate the holiday.

She sat on the couch wrapping gifts for my family quickly as we had to leave within the hour. I attempted to help her, but she just swatted my hand away. Claiming I wouldn't do it properly. Which is fair, she attempted to teach me in college; but it didn't go as planned and we wasted time, and an entire roll of wrapping paper.

"Are you almost done?" Her head lifts as she finishes off the ribbon on the gift. A small smile forms on her lips as she places the gifts aside. Standing she meshes her soft lips against mine.

"You are my favorite attention whore did I ever tell you that Rhys?" I scoff as she turns and grabs the last gift, "Think we should head out?" As she turns away once more I slap her ass gently and I watch as she glanced back at me. That same blush painted against her cheeks.

————————————

I felt a slight discomfort in my chest as the tires sunk deeper into the snowed streets. Just a mile down from my family's home. Adira had fallen asleep, leaving me with the sound of 'All I Want for Christmas' and my thoughts.