17 | Attachment issues

Adira Bowen

I swallow as my throat feels almost tight. I slowly turn my body to face his in confusion. I knew I simply looked like a deer in the headlights but this is where I found myself.

Wrapped in Rhys's arms, speechless as he stares back at me, "Was that you proposing?" I mumbled confused and honestly scared.

"Did you hear me propose?" He questioned.

"No?"

"Exactly" He chuckled leaving me without any words, I was confused. What did he mean by that, I have to marry you. How does one say something incredibly insane so simply?

I open my mouth to speak in question, but I just can't seem to find the words. So I close my mouth again without any. I wondered what happened at his Thanksgiving, he said it went well.

He sighs once more and slowly sits up in bed. His back leans against the headboard as the only light within the room comes from the moon.

"Before I was born my father signed into a dynastic plan. My father's close business partner had a daughter and my mother was expecting a son. Good breeding as my father grossly puts it, the old snarky man died. So his daughter is just waiting for me" As I felt my stomach sink I watched as Rhys just began to laugh.

He found my worst nightmare, losing him again, funny. I was mad for this man and here he was, laughing at the prospect of having to leave me. But as he looks at my face, he stops.

"Princess I'm not leaving you" His hand cradled my jawline and he placed a soothing kiss against my forehead. He always knew how to make the scary things better somehow, "I mean I went two days without sharing a bed with you and I could barely sleep" For some reason, I felt my eyes water.

I sit up slightly and pull myself closer to him. I smoosh my face against his bare chest, I feel the wetness of my tears leak out silently and touch the base of his skin. I couldn't marry him, we just began.

"You have to marry that other woman" The words leave my mouth more in a realization rather than a question. I knew merely nothing about it, but the fear of losing him just as I got him scared me.

"You'd have to kill me to do that, if I recall you and me are supposed to have three babies" He pressed a kiss against my head as his thumb swiped against my cheek, "Don't cry Princess, I have my own plans and always have" I couldn't help it, my emotions weren't my own.

I shook my head slowly, I wanted answers. He tiptoed around them and I knew. I knew that whatever that plan was it had to happen and Rhys couldn't do a thing, it rested in my gut.

My head is forced up as he uses his hand to make me look at him, "My father agreed to meet you, you already know Mom. But he said he must approve, I know he won't but that won't matter. We have all the time in the word princess, it's just us always" He brushed his hand against my shoulder and slowly rubbed it.

"How can you promise that?"

"I'm no deal breaker, Bowen, you know that?" His hand drifted to my flat stomach and looked back to me, "And I am not trying to get you pregnant either, I want to clarify because my brother said something that I-" My hand covered his mouth.

I didn't even think that, nor would I. It's just not who Rhys is, we make agreements on plans and talk them out. I think a baby would be a very long discussion and years off.