32 | A couple of letters I need to send

Rhys Hawking

It had been three years. The worst years of my entire life without her. I wanted to protect her and that day I couldn't. I promised I wouldn't go back until I was sure she was safe, secure.

My father died and even though I was on life support. It didn't even matter, I was thrown into a chair with a knife in the back of it and had to take the consequences that came with it. Sometimes I wish Porter didn't save me, that he let me bleed out.

But then I'd never get to see her again. The one thing that drove my mind, that got me out of bed and through this miserable life. Was that I'd get to see her again some day. Hopefully, just hopefully she didn't hate me.

She had to grieve alone and that's something I'll never forgive myself for. I tried to go to her, break my own rules. But I was stopped by everyone, to keep her safe. She had to give up her life for me and I get updates frequently.

She had her own little life there now. The neighbors love her, and she gardens with plans to open a floral shop. But I knew that's not what she wanted, I knew she missed working at her dream job. Her mind is so brilliant, it's hard to see it be kept from what she could create.

Stiles said she still makes plans for vessels and spacecrafts designing in detail. But they'd never get to go anywhere. Nobody could ever know where she was and most figured her dead.

It's better for the don's wife to be dead than alive. Because every enemy of my family would target her for her entire life. Sofia killed my parents Jace killed my child and almost my wife.

So I spent years wiping out that entire bloodline, starting with Sofia's family members and ending with her. I didn't show any mercy, she separated two people who loved each other. Just for simply existing, for some old family bullshit. I didn't care about pasts or grudges, I never have. But I cared that she almost killed me and my wife, that she killed my family.

I knew my mother kept watch over me. I knew Porter still took it hard but tried not to show it. But he was here for it all and so was Lydia.

Adira didn't know I was still alive. I wanted to see her more than anything. But now as I walked up the street to her home, to our home here. I felt scared that she wouldn't accept me.

Maybe she'd moved on, and found a happiness in her life after so much pain. If she found someone, if she's moved on, I'll accept that she's found her peace. I won't bother her anymore, but I needed to see her. To know she was okay. Because the last image of her in my mind was a gutted one.

I found myself in front of the white stone house. It stood looking the same on the outside, but more flowers than before. Her green thumb made me smile, she hated bugs so I wondered how that made it for her.

I picked out this home for us years ago. Before I even knew she'd be with me, I established this safe house for us to runaway to. Now that I was a free man, I found myself here. Wanting to come home, to a place I wasn't sure was my home.

I freeze for a moment as I see it, her silhouette. She was in one of the side rooms for a moment, the first glimpse of her in years I find myself frozen in place.

With slower steps I eventually found myself at the front door. I ring the doorbell as my heart raced, I wondered if it would be one of the boys who'd answer, maybe Cat or Serena. They all lived here together, it made me happy to know she wasn't fully alone.