3 | Getaway car

Adira Bowen

It felt like hours had passed even though it had only been mere minutes. I sat on the black leather couches in the waiting area of the lobby as the rain outside roared.

I was usually a patient person, but at this time I wasn't. I was waiting for Rhys to return with my bags and confirmation that he slipped my ring and letter to my mother under her door.

Nobody else deserved an explanation but her. Because planning this day was everything to her and now I wouldn't be here for it. I was in a state of shock. I felt like all the tears that existed in my body had all drowned out. It was now a moment in time for me to be quiet.

I rethink everything about our relationship. About who we were and who we've become. Because I never saw Jace as a cheater, I was about to marry that man.

You really don't know people as well as you think you do. Especially the ones you plan to commit your entire life to.

"Adira" I look up to see that same dark green gaze pointed at me. I look beside him to see my trunks for the honeymoon.

"Airport..."

"Airport?" We'd driven to the Hamptons from Boston. Where my home is, where it was.

"You and me" I pause unsure of where this could go, but I only hope it went in a positive direction.

"We are going on my honeymoon days earlier because I deserve to go to fucking Monoco without that bastard" He doesn't question anything, instead he just nods at my words with little to no response and grabs my bags as we head towards the parking lot.

Then I noticed, he grabbed his duffel as well. Because he knew I needed to go desperately, but he didn't want me to be alone.

"You brought your things?" I whisper.

"I'm your partner in crime remember?" I laugh at his stupid reference.

Whenever I joined in on their game nights, one of the boys had to team up with me. Jace claimed he had to beat me and nobody else offered. But Rhys always did immediately.

"I won that round of golf and we both know it."

"Exactly why your club flew out of your hands and into the neighboring pond right?" He teases as I shake my head.

We walked to his car, he drove a sleek black Benz. I stuffed the trunk and back seat with my luggage and then I sank into the passenger's side.

"You know I never pictured you as my getaway car driver" He shuts the door locking it as he chuckles softly. He adjusted his mirrors and ruffled his black hair.

"You ready?" He questions.

"I have nothing else to lose" He started up the car and pulled away from the resort. I felt almost lost because I'd been living with a stranger.

I needed to move on, but right now I was in my grieving period. He couldn't afford a scandal, but I was giving him one hell of a show. The one where me and his best friend ditch this wedding and go to Monaco.

It didn't mean anything, but I knew it would burn. Nowhere near what I've dealt, but a sting would felt, that left me satisfied, "Sorry to drag you into this with me" My voice croaks lightly as I whisper "It'll fuck up your friendship I-"